Rehoming a Lone Rooster

Whittni

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Virginia
I had purchased a four chickens a while back, 1 rooster and 3 hens. Now my other rooster began crowing wars between their pens and they're too loud. So I'm giving him to someone I bought chickens from a while back. I offered to send a hen he came with but she just wants to breed him to a hen she was going to sell to me (roo and her hen are old english game bantams) and if I gave her my hen to go with him she'd just let her loose. So I told her she can just have the rooster and keep her hen to breed them.

I feel bad. He won't have any hen-friends but he will have a new hen and pen to himself. Will he be okay? (My mind says yes but my heart says he'll be lonely without his normal hens)

X2
Roosters seem to be able to cross the social lines more easily than the pullets, my girls only hang with their brooder mates. The boys seem not to care who is next to them at the feeder. I am thinking of rehoming my roosters but am worried about the status of their favorite hens, feel like they would drop in the pecking order.
Your boy will be fine, I would only worry if he was joining a flock with established roos. Seems like a private room with his own lady will be nice.

I just had to rehome my RIR roo today...about an hour ago to be exact. I'm feeling a little bit sad, but he was picking on the smallest member of my flock and I couldn't watch that happen anymore. He's right around the corner from us with a bunch of other chickens. He'll be fine, but I'm wondering about the six girls I have left. I've been watching them since we got back and they seem to know that he's missing....almost like they're looking for him. I'm sure they'll be fine. It will be interesting to see who steps up to be first in the pecking order now that Red is gone..

My buff orpington rooster is going to a new home tomorrow. I am sad to see him go but my neighbors have complained and he is being overly mean to my two girls. At his new home, he will have a 1/2 acre to run free BUT they do not have any hens yet. I am hoping he will not be lonely. Can roosters live on their own? Will he miss his girls here? I figured this is a better option than being on a dinner table, right?

Back
Top Bottom