Rehoming a rooster?.. New to chickens

mcnuthouse

Hatching
May 26, 2017
Hi all,
So my son brought home a rooster from school that they hatched in science class. We are planning on getting a few hens to be with him. my problem is that we live in a city where you aren't technically supposed to have chickens and I am afraid that the rooster's crowing when he gets a bit older will become a nuisance and make someone call the authorities.
I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions; how to deal with this and any suggestions on rehoming him if I have to. Thanks!!!

Why do teachers insist on hatching chicks when they don't have an appropriate home arranged for them?! Ugh.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't try keeping a rooster in a no-chickens-allowed city area. He will likely make some neighbor unhappy enough to turn you in.

If you want chickens, there is a board here about regulations and how to work to change them. I suggest putting your energy into activism. Lots of cities are allowing a few hens now and you could be part of that change for your area.

Re-homing may be done by asking at the feed store if they have an advertisement board or by Craigslist ad or using the re-homing board here.

Why do teachers insist on hatching chicks when they don't have an appropriate home arranged for them?! Ugh.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't try keeping a rooster in a no-chickens-allowed city area. He will likely make some neighbor unhappy enough to turn you in.

If you want chickens, there is a board here about regulations and how to work to change them. I suggest putting your energy into activism. Lots of cities are allowing a few hens now and you could be part of that change for your area.

Re-homing may be done by asking at the feed store if they have an advertisement board or by Craigslist ad or using the re-homing board here.
Thank you!

I just had a lot of luck rehoming 5 baby roosters by posting on local chicken owner groups on social media. (I would end the post by asking for suggestions of where else I should post and got some great leads that way too.) I met some lovely people in my community too, a couple of whom have even sent me pics.Good luck!

You might be surprised to find you can keep chickens in your city. Most cities allow a few birds. When we did ours I went to our neighbor to let them know and surprise...he was putting in a coup too. Then he told me his neighbor the other side of him did the same thing. We talked about getting a surprise rooster in our chicks and it looks like we both got one. If it turns into a problem I will get rid of mine...but taking a wait and see attitude first. I think good communication with the neighbors takes care of lots of problems. There are always the type of people who complain over anything....most are pretty good people. If I ever got a city jerk at my front door it would be fun to take Maynard into the city council meeting. Oh yes......I would.

I just had a lot of luck rehoming 5 baby roosters by posting on local chicken owner groups on social media. (I would end the post by asking for suggestions of where else I should post and got some great leads that way too.) I met some lovely people in my community too, a couple of whom have even sent me pics.Good luck!

Hello, my name is April. I see your post here how you used social media to find homes for your roosters. I'm not really into social media (I'm even struggling in how to work this website), but I have teenagers that could help me. What sites did you use? I have a 4 month old silkie rooster I need to rehome. I've posted flyers at local feed stores this weekend, but I'm not sure if that will work. Any advise would be great. Thanks!

Hello, my name is April. I see your post here how you used social media to find homes for your roosters. I'm not really into social media (I'm even struggling in how to work this website), but I have teenagers that could help me. What sites did you use? I have a 4 month old silkie rooster I need to rehome. I've posted flyers at local feed stores this weekend, but I'm not sure if that will work. Any advise would be great. Thanks!
Craigslist and local poultry groups on Facebook are the most common.
There also may be local trader papers to place ads in your area.

Finding your state chat thread here on BYC is another route,
click this link and scroll down looking for your state:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/

Or got to this thread for links to all the state threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/

Craigslist and local poultry groups on Facebook are the most common.
There also may be local trader papers to place ads in your area.

Finding your state chat thread here on BYC is another route,
click this link and scroll down looking for your state:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/

Or got to this thread for links to all the state threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-thread.270925/
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom