Rehoming behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joneus, Sep 21, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    How long does it take for a rehomed chicken to adjust to their new home and new family?

I took one of my 4mo roos, Willie, to his new home on Saturday. From the day he hatched, he's always had a very friendly personality and had never shown me any sort of aggression. So, you can imagine my concern when his new mom sent me a message that he's been attacking her pant legs when she goes into his pen and that he bit her on the lip! THAT is not the boy I raised!!

I feel terrible about this! He was such a nice little roo when I gave him to her! [​IMG] Its only been a few days, so we're both hoping that he just needs more time to adjust. Any thoughts on what she can do to help the process? I dont know a whole lot about chicken psychology, but he was the dominant rooster of my flock- could he just be trying to establish dominance with her? Should I have not given him away?

Oh dear Bob, I never, in all my life, thought I'd be worrying about the emotional & psychological welfare of a chicken!!! [​IMG]

If he continues to be a problem, I am willing to take him back- but what are the odds that this will be a permanent change?
  2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Well, at 4 months, he's really just beginning to try on his rooster feathers (so to speak). I think that, coincidentally to rehoming, his hormones have also kicked in. He's going to test his space. You want a roo that is dominant enough to protect the flock .. that's what roos do after all. But you don't want a roo who is aggressive towards people, especially those who must enter the chicken space! I'd encourage her to pick him up & carry him around for 10 minutes or so at least once a day so he can get a taste of human versus roo & realize the difference. I do this with my roo. He doesn't want to be picked up, but I want him to learn to keep a wide distance between us & to leave me alone when I want to handle my hens. If he comes too near me, he gets picked up. I put one hand over his head & make him hold his head down in submission. If he picks it up, I gently lower it again with my hand. He has to be calm when I put him down. If he struggles, I keep holding him. But, I'd never let his beak get close enough to my mouth to take a peck. I'm doing all this before he gets his spurs. If he learns to respect me, I'll respect his need for space. If he doesn't, I'll invade his space! Being a protective & fiesty roo is OK. But, aggression towards humans cannot be tolerated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by