Rehoming feeling guilty

And what size is the actual coop itself? I’m guessing about 3’x5? What does it look like inside? How much time do they spend in there (only at night for sleeping, or sometimes locked in during bad weather, etc?)
It’s probably around that size. They only sleep in there and lay eggs. It’s tough to get 1 accurate photo of it.. these are photos from my coop camera.

I do let them out at least 1x a day to free range. Unfortunately they have to be supervised due to hawk problems. Even when they’re free ranging she still seeks out Ollie and attacks her.
2C274CB6-CA67-4570-AA8A-1566470F9117.jpeg

Attachments

• EBC8344E-4031-4607-86A6-63AB8E7D055A.jpeg
    EBC8344E-4031-4607-86A6-63AB8E7D055A.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 4
I don't have chickens, I have a flock that is made up of changeable parts. Over the years they do change, whether I want them to or not. When I have these types of problems I solve for the peace of the flock, not for the benefit of individual chickens.

You are not happy with the flock as it is. That hen is in danger of serious injury. Something needs to change. How happy would that other hen be if you relocate her to a flock if one rooster and one other hen? I don't know. She has a chance to be very happy, she might not be. Would your other three be happy together with that one hen gone? I don't know. When you remove the dominant hen flock dynamics change, you can never be sure how. It's always possible the new dominant hen could be a brute or that there is something wrong with that one hen that gets her picked on.

When and where do the attacks take place? Is it only when they are locked in that coop? If that is the case then you might be able to solve the problem by changing how you manage them so they are not locked in that coop together. If the attacks are taking place outside, well that is a lot more room than many people have for your original six hens, let alone just four. You can always try to add clutter, you never know what might work, but with that size run I think it is more of a personality clash than a room issue. That's way beyond the minimum run size that you often see on here.

Would she do okay going alone?
Probably but with living animals you can never tell for sure what will happen.

Is it cruel to rehome her? 🥹
Is it cruel and dangerous not to?

Are you able to add boredom busters? Stumps, tree limb, different level of perches. Adding a grass growing box.
I added a piece of plywood for them to hide behind. I have some stumps, a big tree branch with leaves. I had 2 different roost bars but they never used them. They only use one that’s 6 inches off the ground. We built them 2 dust baths. I had a swing but they didn’t use that either. 🤦🏽‍♀️

Your coop and room appears to be more than sufficient in size and very beautiful! I don't think I'd do more considering these two have never gotten along. Re-homing her might be the best thing to do so at least she has a chance of being accepted .I recently added a new hen to my flock and they totally accepted her after 2 weeks.
Thank you! Everyone gave great advice and I decided to rehome. She chased Ollie a handful of times today while free ranging and Ollie is clearly terrified of her and constantly looking to see where she is and keep her distance. Hopefully the rehoming goes well.

Back
Top Bottom