Rehoming feeling guilty

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!
I have a small flock of now 4 hens. I recently lost 2 of my girls. One of them was the head hen.

Willow(high up) and Ollie(lowest in pecking order but my favorite hen) have never gotten along. I’ve tried putting her in peepers but she gets them off every time. Willow isn’t aggressive to anyone else except Ollie. Ollie is all bark and no bite.

There haven’t been any major injuries- mostly superficial cuts on Ollie’s comb, a chunk of her eyelid once, and feathers missing from her back.

I’m considering rehoming Willow, but I feel guilty. I don’t want to give away a flock mate because that would leave me with 2 birds.

Would she do okay going alone? Is it cruel to rehome her? 🥹

She would be going alone and joining 1 other hen and 1 rooster.

Having a rooster in the flock changes the hens' social dynamics and is said to frequently result in a more peaceful flock in that regard. She'd probably thrive in that situation once the stress of integration is over.

If you an issue with aggression in q tiny flock I would look at the size of the coop and run .
4 hens don't require a lot of space but the more they have the better. If you try to keep them in a coop or run too small they will pick and fight each other more.
Here is a photo of our run. I can’t remember the size but I want to say it’s 10x12.
472025D0-CD13-47EB-A4E8-3425170EEB22.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom