Rehoming Four Hens ... But they don't look so good :(

The broody hen seems to be missing more feathers than any of the other hens. Could it be that she is not actually broody, but trying to stay away from the hens that are pulling her feathers out? Does she growl when you try to pick her up? What happens when you take her off the nest and put her on the ground? Does she immediately fluff up and lay sort of spread out and flat?

I wouldn't do this if she is broody and has been for a while. She needs to get up and eat and drink. They lose a lot of weight when they are broody, and her health is already compromised because she's been trying to survive on scratch grains.
I was going to throw in there after she gets back up to health but I found another post I was reading but if she's broody now that means later under the right conditions she will go broody again so once she is healthy and up to par the set eggs under her for new chickies

The broody hen seems to be missing more feathers than any of the other hens. Could it be that she is not actually broody, but trying to stay away from the hens that are pulling her feathers out? Does she growl when you try to pick her up? What happens when you take her off the nest and put her on the ground? Does she immediately fluff up and lay sort of spread out and flat?

I wouldn't do this if she is broody and has been for a while. She needs to get up and eat and drink. They lose a lot of weight when they are broody, and her health is already compromised because she's been trying to survive on scratch grains.

I'm going to get her to stop being broody for the time being, it could be a mixture between being pecked all the time and the fact that she is leaving fake eggs in the nesting boxes and then just letting her sit there all day, everyday. But I want to break her of that right away because I want her to get healthier. She did say that the others pick on her all the time. She's the only one out of the four who is more resistant to be picked up and doesn't like to be pet like the others and I'm sure it's because she's picked on. I hope we can get her an apron to let her feathers grow in and help her out some! When we took her out of the nest and on the ground, she immediately ran back into the nesting box and sat down again. She doesn't growl or anything but she definitely isn't happy about it!

Also lastly, I'll ask about the D.E. at Murdoch's that is where we purchased it before, but thank you all for the advice on that! We are going to get some mite/dusting mix today just as a preventative even if they don't have mites and just to be sure if they do we get it all cleared up as soon as we let them out one by one into their new home. :) Better to be safe than sorry!

I'm going to get her to stop being broody for the time being, it could be a mixture between being pecked all the time and the fact that she is leaving fake eggs in the nesting boxes and then just letting her sit there all day, everyday. But I want to break her of that right away because I want her to get healthier. She did say that the others pick on her all the time. She's the only one out of the four who is more resistant to be picked up and doesn't like to be pet like the others and I'm sure it's because she's picked on. I hope we can get her an apron to let her feathers grow in and help her out some! When we took her out of the nest and on the ground, she immediately ran back into the nesting box and sat down again. She doesn't growl or anything but she definitely isn't happy about it!

Also lastly, I'll ask about the D.E. at Murdoch's that is where we purchased it before, but thank you all for the advice on that! We are going to get some mite/dusting mix today just as a preventative even if they don't have mites and just to be sure if they do we get it all cleared up as soon as we let them out one by one into their new home. :) Better to be safe than sorry!
Sounds like a good plan to me. :thumbsup. My experience with broody hens is they growl and peck at you if you try to move them. Then when you set them down outside they act very strange indeed, like they forgot how to walk. They make odd noises, and might jump and flutter, like they just saw as mouse. :lau They will flatten out and lay low for a minute. Then they will peck around a bit before going back to the nest. Your little pecked at hen I think is staying in the nest for safety. I would definitely get a saddle, or at least spray her with blue kote, to protect her from the other chickens. This will all settle out in your much larger space with good nutritious food. Best of luck with her!!! And with the others too. Again, thank you for rescuing these ladies!!!:love And please keep us posted on their progress. :pop

Back
Top Bottom