Rehoming my Rooster...wanting to try a new breed

BessieMae

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Texas
So my beautiful Americana Rooster has deciding to start attacking humans...
sad.png
. Because I like to free range my flock and I have 2 young children, I have decided to rehome him. Luckily I have found a home for him. I am thinking of trying a different breed since I love having a rooster around. I have really been thinking of getting a Buff Orpington roo....but recently found the Lavender Orpingtons. Am I right in assuming that the Lavenders will basically have the same temperament as the Buffs?
-Beth

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
You really can't count on breed to dictate docility...
....tho some breeds are generally more docile, it really depends on individual birds and sometimes genetic 'lines' of breeds.

I've read of successes in breeding well behaved cocks that resulted in well behaved male offspring....
.......and read that you don't want to breed a badly behaved cock to avoid badly behaved male offspring.

It's a crap shoot, 'breed the best and eat the rest' is my motto.
If I had small kids, I wouldn't have a rooster at all.

HighStreetCoop

Songster
6 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Oakland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
I second what aart says: ask about the temperament of the rooster that sired the cockerel you get and make your selection based on that. There are always PLENTY of cockerels looking for homes here on the forum. Orps in general (at least non-hatchery stock) are fairly laid back, but that doesn't mean every boy will be well behaved.

DanEP

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2010
Cadiz Ky
Buff orps in general tend to be fairly mellow but I have to say the meanest roo I've ever had was a orp. For some reason he hated my mother in law and would run a hundred yards to attack her.

HighStreetCoop

Songster
6 Years
Aug 28, 2014
Oakland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Buff orps in general tend to be fairly mellow but I have to say the meanest roo I've ever had was a orp. For some reason he hated my mother in law and would run a hundred yards to attack her.

One of the cockerels in my brooder was like that. Just aggressive about "his" territory. Would go after my hand and was always giving me the eye. He got taken to the farm supply early on.

Top Bottom