Rehoming single depressed duck in NC

Hi NC! We need to rehome our single, very depressed Pekin duck. Wake County.

He lived happily with a group of ducks on a pond at my work for a long time. Then this most recent mating season, with a 8 drake to 1 hen ratio (eek!), put him as the lowest on the totem pole and he was getting bullied and injured. We took him home on a "respite" temporary basis to give him a break. He was happy and spoiled and healed well, so we brought him back to the pond. His former friends immediately beat him bloody - repeatedly!! So we brought him back home to keep him safe, but now he is severely depressed: lethargic, not eating, stays in his coop all day. (He's been given medicine and has his wounds cleaned reguarly.)

We are not equipped to take on another duck to keep him company or give him the large free roaming space he truly needs. We're renters, totally green to duck caregiving, and thought we were just going to be a rest stop for him. He cannot go back to the pond. We adore him and want him to have the life he deserves! Help!

Attachments

• 20230412_082616.jpg
    20230412_082616.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi! We are outside of Charlotte in rock hill sc. most of my family lives in wake or Durham counties, so we’re there often. We have 2 welsh harlequins and 2 buff Orpington ducks. We might be able to take this guy! We’re on 11 acres and we have just finished a beautiful coop for our girls. Whenever we’re home, we’re playing outside with them - we supervise free ranging. Feel free to send me a message 😊

Hi! We are outside of Charlotte in rock hill sc. most of my family lives in wake or Durham counties, so we’re there often. We have 2 welsh harlequins and 2 buff Orpington ducks. We might be able to take this guy! We’re on 11 acres and we have just finished a beautiful coop for our girls. Whenever we’re home, we’re playing outside with them - we supervise free ranging. Feel free to send me a message 😊
@Hkienow

Hi there-a fox got into our coop and killed three of our four ducks. We are in Rock Hill and very worried about our lone survival. I saw this post and if you have any room for another we’d love to connect. We’d get him a friend but frankly terrified of this happening again.

Back
Top Bottom