Reintegration Question - Broody on Eggs in house- First Timer

Loralye

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
The short of it- If my silkie is inside brooding on eggs for the next few weeks and raising them inside for another few weeks atleast will the flock take her back after? Should I bring her outside to the flock every other day even if it's just for a couple of minutes?

This is my son's silkie Pom-Pom, she was inside a month or so ago for a couple of days recovering from a staph infection in her ear. She apparently remembered the warmth and safety because she welcomed herself back into the house the following week when I left the door open to lay an egg on my son's bed. Her favorite is his dinosaur head...
Well no more than a half dozen eggs later or so, at 8 months old, she's gotten broody... I let her come in, lay her egg, I take it away and put her back outside in the run with her flock... Well it has been DAYS...a week?...and she's relentless and will not break her broodiness. This evening when all the others were climbing into the coop I came to shut the coop door and Pom-Pom left the run, alone, and started walking into the snow to the house to brood, in the dark....
This is a girl who HATES the snow...I've watched her prepare to jump for what felt like forever over a small spot of snow that was in her way on the path 🙄 So I said to hell with it and brought her in, my husband made a nest for her... My heart.... I gave her a fertilized EE egg to sit on, and today I gave her 2 silkie eggs that are likely fertilized, but were in the fridge for atleast a few days... I figured see what happens... I'm tempted to put one more EE egg under her.
Her sister is also broody in the nest box in the coop. I've decided to let her do her thing, I'm taking the eggs and just monitoring their weight though🤷‍♀️

Any advice, tips etc? She's currently in a nest on the floor of my living room, it's a wicker basket with a fluffy white blanket in it. Food and water nearby, but she has 0 interest in getting up at all so far.

Attachments

• 20201217_111448.jpg
    20201217_111448.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201217_111504.jpg
    20201217_111504.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 3
She's adorable. 🥰

If she's away from the flock for more than a few days you will need to reintegrate her but you'd have to integrate the chick/s into the flock when the time comes anyway so I wouldn't make it hard on yourself taking her out for a visit daily. Just reintegrate when you feel she and the chicks are ready.

I'd take her off the nest once a day and she should have a snack etc. They do lay down a lot of fat reserves before going broody so try not to worry too much.

I'm about to reintegrate a bantam as she's been away from the flock raising a duck for us. The duck still follows her around at 10 weeks old so we'll put him up the back with the rest as well. He should slowly gravitate towards the duck hens. She kind of still looks after him but I know she's ready to go back (we just have to catch them first).

Thanks for the reply. I ended up booting her fluffy butt outside at least every other day anyway, mostly to stretch and poop. She is so committed she won't leave the nest. I think the longest she went was 3 days and I intervened, I decided at that point to make sure I get her up atleast every other day. I even have a bowl of wet mash infront of her and treats because she wouldn't get up to eat or drink 🙄

She has 4 more days to go!!

Back
Top Bottom