Reintroducing a chicken after 6 weeks.....

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
I sold some chickens to a friend at work who was starting a new flock. One turned out to be a roo and she wants to trade for a pullet. I am fine with that. It has been about 6-8 weeks since I sold them to her. Do I need to seperate him from the flock I have? Will they remember him as one of their own? He was around 8-10 weeks when he left.

Wyorp Rock

Enabler
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I sold some chickens to a friend at work who was starting a new flock. One turned out to be a roo and she wants to trade for a pullet. I am fine with that. It has been about 6-8 weeks since I sold them to her. Do I need to seperate him from the flock I have? Will they remember him as one of their own? He was around 8-10 weeks when he left.
Hard to know if they will accept him right off the bat or not - they are still fairly young - will he be the only cockerel?
All you can do is try and see how it goes, if it doesn't go well, then cage him within the coop/run or next to the flock for introduction.

You may also want to consider quarantining him for a few weeks, especially if your friend has mentioned that her flock had any symptoms of illness.

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
He will be the only cockerel in the flock which is why I was anxious to get him back. We'll see how it goes Saturday. I usually quarantine but since these were my mine to begin with I'm fairly comfortable skipping that step. I will know more after I pick him up and I can see where her birds are kept and their condition.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I usually quarantine but since these were my mine to begin with I'm fairly comfortable skipping that step.
But he could have picked up anything in the 8 weeks he's been there.
Only you can weigh the risks and decide how to handle them.

He was around 8-10 weeks when he left.
Surprised it wan't apparent that he was a he at this age.
What breed is he?

As for integration, that'll be a crap shoot too.
He's probably rarin' to go at 14-18 weeks old...and your girls may not appreciate that.
Do you have older birds too? They may kick his butt.
Best have a place to keep him safe but in sight or your other birds.

Let us know how it works out.
Best of cLuck!

juliejohnson805

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Central Alabama
He is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. I wasn't 100% sure but told her he might be a he. The feathering on these birds gets better as they mature and I wasn't sure if he was a mix or pure at the time. I'm still learning. Fairly confident he's 100% BLRW now and want to see how he matures.

Thanks for the insight. My flock does contain mixed ages but they are used to a roo. I lost mine couple weeks ago to a rogue dog. I'm thinking I'll seperate him within coop right now but I'll wait til I get to see her other birds and their setup. It was a brand new setup and flock.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
He is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. I wasn't 100% sure but told her he might be a he. The feathering on these birds gets better as they mature and I wasn't sure if he was a mix or pure at the time.
Usually comb size and color tall the tale on males by about 4-8 weeks,
but Wy's are harder to tell this way.

Chicken Heel

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
I have a 16 weeks old Black Australorp rooster that I am considering introducing to my mixed flock of twelve 2 3/4 years old large breed hens. These hens have never had a rooster with them and have a very defined pecking order established. The rooster has been in an adjacent lot for a while but I think there may be a scuffle or twelve when/if I do the integration. I have done this type of integration in the past and things generally work out after the rooster gets his butt whooped a few times but these hens are a bit on the feisty side, especially the three Austra Whites and three Cuckoo Marans. The Marans also have spurs that are 1 - 2 inches long and they could possibly injure the rooster if things get serious.

Top Bottom