Reintroducing a chicken to the flock

tnmommy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
My chocolate orpington was under the weather but is ready to go back with her flock. Problem is, they are not having it. It's only been a week, but apparently that is a long time in a chicken's memory. They are treating her like a new chicken.

So, I almost put her dog crate next to the juvenile grow out pen, next to her flock, but I am about to separate them into 2 flocks anyway. Will it just be easier if I move her in with her orpington buddies when they all go into their new coop and run in a few days? It will be all new for all 4 of them.

It might be some easier, but they are still going to have to reestablish their pecking order - this happens any time you add a chicken to or subtract a chicken from the flock.

If you have space, give her a buddy. Just put her and another together for a week. There will be a scuffle, but it is one on one. Then when they have worked it out, add the pair back to the flock. there will still be a scuffle, but it is better than just a single bird.

Adding a single bird to the flock is one of the hardest integrations. Everyone knows the bird is a stranger (chicken rules, a bird gone a week is a stranger).

Mrs K

I can section off an area in the pen and put one of the bantams with her. That would leave the cockerel with one bantam, and her with another bantam. I guess I will try that a few days. She doesn't seem too bothered by hanging out in her dog crate next to another flock of chickens. But I'm sure she has to be lonely...

Back
Top Bottom