Reintroducing an injured duck back to the flock

mberry222

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
Kingston, TN
We have a small flock, 4 ducks and one drake. One of the ducks got a bacteria infection in her foot and was in rehab alone until it healed. We attemped to reintroduce her into with the other and the drake is being aggresive to the previously injured duck with his mating habits and causing all of the ducks to fight. We seperated the drake for now. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
We've had situations where we had to remove ducks for injuries, etc. and we'd let them lose together and they'd have no problem. We even had a teen group of Pekin ducks when I let another one lose when he was old enough[ he was about the last egg
roll.png
] At first they didn't like him, they'd go to the point of flipping some royal feathers, but now they're all buddies. And little Carlos flips out when he doesn't have his buddies around.

I don't know if that will work out with your situation.. my ducks weren't ever that aggressive.. If it were me I would let him out with the group everyday for awhile, supervise[to make sure no one gets hurt] then after a while I think they would become buds.

I'd get her back to buddy-buddy with all the ladies, then slowly re-introduce the male.. That puts him on the outside, and he will have to be on his best behavior to get the ladies to be nice to him.... when I had to reintroduce our broody hen and her baby back into the flock, this is what I did, and now everyone gets along.... pretty well...

Back
Top Bottom