Reintroducing chickens in the future.

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
My chickens are just starting to lay. My fall batch of chicks was 3 chicks each of 4 breeds; EEs, RIR, BOs, and CWs. Of those I kept 4 of the hens for myself. One of the RIR turned out to be a roo, he is with my in laws. We are currently raising 10 more chicks one of which is also a roo. All but 1 will go to my in laws. I raise the chicks since I homeschool my kids and it’s great for learning plus I have the time. My in laws however have the space for a large flock.

We are thinking about incubating for our next round of chicks we will need in about a year or so. My in laws unfortunately lost their RIR hen, so my question is how would I go about mating my RIR with their rooster when that time comes? I want to avoid any aggression or problems so I’m getting all my research done now. I just know we all love our RIRs and I want more in the future! So would I bring my hen to their home for a few days? Or their rooster to my home for a few days? They were brooded together but have been separated since Christmas, how do I go about reintroducing them?

My chickens are just starting to lay. My fall batch of chicks was 3 chicks each of 4 breeds; EEs, RIR, BOs, and CWs. Of those I kept 4 of the hens for myself. One of the RIR turned out to be a roo, he is with my in laws. We are currently raising 10 more chicks one of which is also a roo. All but 1 will go to my in laws. I raise the chicks since I homeschool my kids and it’s great for learning plus I have the time. My in laws however have the space for a large flock.

We are thinking about incubating for our next round of chicks we will need in about a year or so. My in laws unfortunately lost their RIR hen, so my question is how would I go about mating my RIR with their rooster when that time comes? I want to avoid any aggression or problems so I’m getting all my research done now. I just know we all love our RIRs and I want more in the future! So would I bring my hen to their home for a few days? Or their rooster to my home for a few days? They were brooded together but have been separated since Christmas, how do I go about reintroducing them?
Many people borrow roosters off of other people for short periods for mating purposes it’s definitely do-able.
I think it would better to borrow their rooster for your flock for 2 reasons.
1. If you were to let them have your hen, when she returns it could cause issues in the pecking order and she could lose her place/ start getting picked on.
2. Roosters in 99% of cases will usually be top of the pecking order no matter which flock they’re in or how long they’ve been in it. The rooster would very easily be able to come to your flock, be top of the pecking order, mate with your hen, and then return to his previous flock and claim his top spot back.
Of course the only issue is many people like to isolate new chickens (male or female) before introducing to their flock as it lowers the risk of spreading any diseases/illnesses from both flocks that they may have (even if the owners aren’t aware)
But that’s completely up to you whether you isolate or not, it would make the process a lot longer obviously, some people do it and some don’t.

Being as it is your in laws, I am thinking you have been to their chicken coop, and them to yours, so I wouldn't worry about the quarantine.

I too think that you should move the rooster - but you don't have to add him to your whole flock unless, you don't care about it. You could have a breeding pen, where they hang out and get it done. This way you could only hatch RR eggs, you could collect several and really build up your RR flock.

Do know that if you have a rooster in your flock it takes several weeks to clear that sperm from her track. So if you want purebred chicks - you will need to separate her from your in house rooster before exposing her to the rooster of your choice.

Mrs K

Being as it is your in laws, I am thinking you have been to their chicken coop, and them to yours, so I wouldn't worry about the quarantine.

I too think that you should move the rooster - but you don't have to add him to your whole flock unless, you don't care about it. You could have a breeding pen, where they hang out and get it done. This way you could only hatch RR eggs, you could collect several and really build up your RR flock.

Do know that if you have a rooster in your flock it takes several weeks to clear that sperm from her track. So if you want purebred chicks - you will need to separate her from your in house rooster before exposing her to the rooster of your choice.

Mrs K
Luckily I don’t have a rooster. The other roo is only 6 weeks old and still in the brooder. He has met my chickens and my BO HATES him she is top of pecking order and refuses to lose that spot to a visiting baby haha! So we will try introducing him to my in laws flock in a couple weeks. Since they have more space it is easier to gradually integrate him into the flock.

I don’t mind having mixed breed chicks. The roosters are the RIR and a salmon Faverolle. Which we have 2 females of. So we can definitely have a few purebreds of those 2 and see what comes from the mixes. I think it will be fun to see what we get! RIRs are just too precious to not continue having them!

Back
Top Bottom