Reintroducing hen back in to flock

Cheyenne000

Hatching
Oct 14, 2019
I have a hen that was tore up pretty bad by the other hens. I had to remover her from the other hens for about 6 weeks while she healed. I had her in a small cage in the coop all but 2 days while she was healing. I tried to reintroduce her and they drew blood pretty bad on her back again. I put her back in the small cage to heal again. I tried again to reintroduce her but I have 3 agressive hens that started pecking her pretty bad. How do I know if they are just establishing pecking order or if they are attacking her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pecking order skirmishes are one on one as a rule, short-lived, quicly resolved.

On the other hand, three hens ganging up on a single hen, all pinning her down while they hammer away at her back is bullying and not normal social interaction at all.

This latter is a predictable outcome of a very timid individual stuck in the role of victim. Both she and the bullies are fulfilling their learned roles, all perpetuating the roles by their continuing behavior. You need to interrupt the behavior while rehabilitating the victim. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

It can be a delicate balance as the victimized hen relearns her role as a member of the flock and overcomes her role as a victim by gaining self confidence. This is achieved, not all at once, but slowly.

You will need more than a cage in the coop. The victim should be given her own safe enclosure in the run with enough space where she can avoid aggression coming at her through the barrier. Gradually, she will be permitted outside the enclosure for a brief period at first under strict supervision, to be whisked back to safety at the first hint of trouble from the others.

Gradually increasing the time she spends outside her safety pen will be the thing that instills self confidence in her to stand up for herself. Once she's able to do that, the bullying from the others usually stops.

Back
Top Bottom