Relative Concerned about Bird Flu

Abby11182

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
So we're new to chickens, and I had a relative ask me if I needed to worry about bird flu? Is there anything to worry about?

Realistically, you probably havea greater chance of getting struck by lightning than contracting bird flu from your chickens. Worry not.

Thanks! I've been reading online and it seems like they would have to catch it from the droppings of an infected bird flying directly overhead of them and pooping into their run? I just wanted to make sure, so I didn't have people afraid to come to my house! :eek:)

Resurrecting this thread...because I have the same situation with a family member concerned about bird flu cuz I now have chickens. How concerned should I be, if at all? I do have two boys (ages 8 and 10) who get sick easily. Seriously, if someone were to sneeze in Africa, my kids would catch it!

Resurrecting this thread...because I have the same situation with a family member concerned about bird flu cuz I now have chickens. How concerned should I be, if at all? I do have two boys (ages 8 and 10) who get sick easily. Seriously, if someone were to sneeze in Africa, my kids would catch it!
I am not an expert on bird flu, but I think if you use common sense and good bio-securty there should be no problem. Change your shoes and clothes after doning chicken chores. Wash your hands often and well. Keep your coop clean and your chickens well fed and cared for. Don't attract wild birds around your run by placing bird feeders close by. If you do have an ill chicken do not let your children around it.

Back
Top Bottom