Releasing Mallard Ducks

dzros

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
I live in Ohio I have a nice little stream that is heavily wooded off you think 5 mallard ducklings when they get to a certain age would be just fine to survive if I just let them go down there. There is many minos (that seem big enough to provide the nutrition a duck would need in the wild) crayfish and bugs.

Are they wild or from a hatchery?
They are from Metzer Farms

Of course I will give them the proper heat and care and housing they need before they are grown and are all feathered and capable enough of finding their own food and all that and my house is literally 25 feet from the stream so they can go back up if they feel they are endanger of anything I just dont think I can keep 10 full grown ducks in the house. It is called a stream but it is wide and big enough to be a river also and I have seen ducks float down it before in the past. Should I build them a feeder or something if I do put them down there when they are older or should I not release them in there at all and advise. thank you

Well, people don't release domesticated ducks. Since they have been bred by humans for so many years, and these ducklings have been raised by you they have no survival skills.
You could still free range them during the day but they should have a duck house to sleep in, that way they'll be safe from predators at night. Though they'll be able to find some food on their own they'll still need to be primarily fed by you.
Most people build their own duck houses but you can DIY something into one. You can also purchase building plans if you'd like, though I like to design things so you could do that as well.

Well, people don't release domesticated ducks. Since they have been bred by humans for so many years, and these ducklings have been raised by you they have no survival skills.
You could still free range them during the day but they should have a duck house to sleep in, that way they'll be safe from predators at night. Though they'll be able to find some food on their own they'll still need to be primarily fed by you.
Most people build their own duck houses but you can DIY something into one. You can also purchase building plans if you'd like, though I like to design things so you could do that as well.
Thanks for the advise I will build a little duck pen for them to stay in by the river and a feeder and heaters. As long as I do not leave them totally helpless they will be okay it seems to me is what you are saying. I will build them a pen to stay in or something.

1597021458961.png

Here's a smaller duck house.
You'll need to be sure they's enough space though. If you haven't already you may need to re-home some drakes to insure a good ratio, so you may not need one quite so big.

Here's a larger one with a run
1597021589723.png

Correct me if I’m wrong
You bought 10 ducks, want to keep 5 in your house and release 5 behind your house? Ducks need to be outside or else they will be unhappy. You bought those ducks and they depend on you for their well being. You can’t just raise them until they are done being cute and release them. It’s unfair.

Back
Top Bottom