Releasing snake to eat mice

Please allow me to send you all the rat snakes you desire. They kill birds, steal eggs, and sleep in the coop causing panic and chaos among the birds. And when you catch them.. don't listen to their promises to stay away, they always come back for more :D
As much empathy as I have for your birds, I take it you don't live in copperhead country?

Maybe check with your local vet for a rescued barn cat. My vet takes part in trap, neuter and release program for feral cats and they are always looking for homes - maybe your vet could suggest where to get a good barn cat.

There’s a cat rescue near us that specializes in exferal barn cats. And I know there’s one in or near Dallas so they may be common.

Last edited:
I had all my chicken food sitting in front in my porch,mice found it and started eating it,I moved it to a shack in the back of the property,guessing that I moved the food and had no more food I thought they would leave,they didn't and moved into my house,I tried glue traps and more traps that instantly kill them,A bird,A lizard and even my poor dog managed to stick to the glue traps so they cause more harm than good,I finally got rid of them by removing all the things they could eat,this was over a year ago,a few days ago I started finding feed everywhere in the floor,today I moved some feed bags and found small poops,I do not know if mice can carry diseases to chickens but I'm not risking it,poison is not an option since I got the goat and chicken feed back there,I dislike traps so I was thinking of putting a rat snake in there to hunt the mice.good or bad idea?
chickens will eat mice if they catch them Yes eat them whole so please please do not use any poison or pesticide

I had all my chicken food sitting in front in my porch,mice found it and started eating it,I moved it to a shack in the back of the property,guessing that I moved the food and had no more food I thought they would leave,they didn't and moved into my house,I tried glue traps and more traps that instantly kill them,A bird,A lizard and even my poor dog managed to stick to the glue traps so they cause more harm than good,I finally got rid of them by removing all the things they could eat,this was over a year ago,a few days ago I started finding feed everywhere in the floor,today I moved some feed bags and found small poops,I do not know if mice can carry diseases to chickens but I'm not risking it,poison is not an option since I got the goat and chicken feed back there,I dislike traps so I was thinking of putting a rat snake in there to hunt the mice.good or bad idea?
Glue traps are inhumane. Quick kill is really the most humane. Poisons work their way up the food chain, please don't use those.
Snake? Hmmm...it is a natural predator. However, since I am petrified of snakes and will shoot on sight, not for me. If you are ok with them and not too concerned with losing an egg here and there, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom