Releasing snake to eat mice

Pics
Quick kill seems alright,I think they found out where my chickens are,chicken wire all around,and a layer of concrete around the chicken coop,should I be worried?

am I the only that thinks feeding meat to chickens is bad??
You and the other people who don't realize that chickens are omnivores.

Dont mice learn?they seem freakishly smart to me,2 get caught with traps and then none get caught anymore,I feel like it is the downside of traps
Might be how and where you are setting them.

Those snap traps are pretty much instantaneous. Put the trigger side facing the wall and move it each time you catch a mouse. Be certain to locate it out of the way of other animals (cats, dogs, your chickens, etc.) I used to use a glob of peanut butter with a big kernel of corn pushed into it as bait. I no longer have a mouse problem.
These are the two key things that greatly increased my catch rate.
I don't even use pnut butter any more, just some scratch grains.....which are kept in a metal can with a tight fitting metal lid.

The problem with mice and snakes is that both draw the larger predators that also each chickens. Owls, hawks, foxes, you name it, it eats mice if it is a predator and it will eat the snakes that are drawn by the rodents. If you are going to have chickens you are going to draw mice and rats if you do not practice feed security and sanitation. Metal cans for storing the feed, a good metal treadle feeder, and don't feed enough scraps that the birds won't clean it up in a few hours.

You do this and you don't need to worry about poison or being present to feed the birds morning and night. You get a healthier flock, more eggs, better feed conversion, and happier chickens.

Back
Top Bottom