Relentlessly aggresive rooster; help?

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would keep a bird like this for any reason. If he should get up into your face, he could permanently blind you, and no bird is worth that.

Try the supersoaker method for a few days. If that doesn't work, try the broom, and don't be nice about it. And be sure to reinforce your dominance over him at least once or twice a week. If this still doesn't work, SOUP!

Since you've been willing to tolerate his aggression for this long, you might be amenable to asserting your dominance over this `bad' boy each and every time you are in the coop/run. Pick that sucker up, tuck him under your arm (long sleeved shirt/coat is good) and collect the eggs. Carry him around. Put him down and pick him back up. Corner him and pick him up. Take a few grapes and only give them to him while he is under your arm. When he attacks from behind pick him up; massage his comb until his head drops and he trances out like a horned toad having its belly rubbed. Don't let off and don't let it slide.

If, at the end of a month, there is no change in the behavior, I'd suggest introducing him to rice/veggies and a few dumplings...

good luck/or good eating

Last edited:
Also, Rooster Red's helpful roo page includes working up the point where it may become necessary to grab the roo (wear gloves) and hold him upside down by his feet, while you walk around the yard. (Don't forget to parade him in front of the hens, to reinforce who's the boss NOW.) A good lecture on flock structure wouldn't go amiss. Good luck, and stick to your guns. Your safety (and peace of mind) should come first, as others have pointed out.

We have a BIG Cochin roo that likes to flog women. He is such a bad boy. He will wait until one is walking away from him and then.... POW, 12 pounds of chicken hitting the back of your legs.

The Reds page on how to dominate a roo is a very important thing to read and impliment. The roo I have is simply wonderful with the hens, all the hens. He calls them to food, water and really does rule the inside of the barn. He calls the hens to the barn when it is time to come inside for whatever reason and he snuggles up with them at night. My wife calls him dumplins so I have to protect him and I made her read the link from red.

We love the roos. There is a place in the flock for all the roos big and little. Yes, we have had to rid the flock of some of them after a long and tiring battle to stop them from thier ways. We either sold them or gave them away, so far no "dumplins". Some roos are just horrid with the hens and we will not tolerate this. We have had two RIR roos. So far we have had big problems with them and they are gone, but my gosh what a beautiful bird. We have had to rid the flolck of three or four BANTAM roos, they were simply obnoxious with the hens. gain, what beautiful birds they were.

I have ONE red jungle fowl roo and he is the sweetest, gentleman I have ever had. He is always talking to his hens and his hens are extremly loyal to him. One day I saw him scratch up a few grub worms. He clucked at his hens and over the came to gobble them up. He did not even get to eat one. This is what a good roo will do.
Oh, sure there are reasons he is a gentleman, but at least he is not a mean thing that hurts the hens. Roos are suppose to protect their hens and show them to food and to call them when they need to roost and such. God bless the roos.

The squirt gun is a good idea.

The hatchet is a better one.

I'm sorry to say that, and I know it's not what you want to hear. I also know that not everyone has it in them to slaughter an animal. And that's ok. But really, isn't he a thorn in your side? Wouldn't you enjoy your hens so much more without having to worry about him? Offer him for free to someone who will eat him. He's a chicken. People eat them. He has had 2 years of great life, which is more than most roosters get. And more than he has deserved, in my opinion.

Of course, that is only my opinion, and I don't mean to offend you. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you success with it. I also hope and pray that he doesn't hurt you too badly in the meantime.

sad.png

Ooh, I just had an idea!

Maybe you could give him to a needy family. Then you could feel good about knowing that a child would not go hungry because of his "sacrifice". You could call your local food pantry and ask if they knew of a family who would be able to "do the deed", who might be interested in free rooster.

Just a thought, but it might help you get to the place that you need to be in to get rid of him.

Can you tell that I'm worried about your situation? Two hours later, I'm still thinking of you.

Best wishes!

I know you don't want to hear this, but I would put that rooster in the soup pot. You might feel guilty at first but then I think you'd feel so relieved not to have him around any more! No chicken is worth getting hurt over, and it's not just you at risk; it's anyone (or any child) who might encounter him. I also would not want to raise chicks from a rooster like that; temperament is passed on from the parents. Think of all the nice, gentle roosters that end up being eaten because there aren't enough homes for them; personally I'd rather give a gentleman rooster a nice life and axe the nasty one.

Maybe it is partly the breed. I also have a golden lakenvelder. And the older he gets the meaner he gets. We have a RIR roo that is our dominate roo. (RIR roo is nice, it just stays away from us) So when anyone comes in Elvis (GL roo) tries to act tough and beat them up. I have small children that like to collect eggs that can't anymore because of him. And today will be his last day with us. I would feel horrible if he hurt one of my kids.

Quote:
I just want to say that this sums up my feelings perfectly! Why would you want to keep this unbelievably nasty bird. I am sorry, I love my chickens like pets, and lavish attention on them, so I understand the desire to do right by an animal, but if this was a vicious dog, would you keep it? a cat that attacked you all the time? You said you live in Maine, well, use the uncle henry's and put him up for adoption to some one who needs a flock defender, get rid of him, and I will give you one of my young roosters who are hand tame, and loveable, and will let you carry them around, and follow you like a puppy! Dont be held hostage by a nasty mean evil bird, when there are so very many sweet roosters out there that deserve a loving home like yours.

You have really done your best, When you have had enough, email me, I will bring you a wonderful roo!
Dovey needs a home.....
14075_100_3093.jpg

Back
Top Bottom