Relocating with Chickens

CrazySally

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
smile.png
I am going to be relocating from Arizona to Idaho next year. It's an 18 hour drive. We would have to stop overnight 1/2 way. I want to be able to take our chickens with us. They will all be about 1 year old when we're ready to move. I have 15.

I would appreciate any advice anyone might have who has attempted this successfully. I'd like to know what has worked well for other people (if there's even anyone else out there crazy enough to do this). I thought I could use a huge wire cage, one big enough to hold them all comfortably with food and water. I could cover it most of it with a sheet to help keep them calm......if that will work.

You know, I have friends who aren't really into animals and they say "Sell them and start over." I don't want to do that, but if I can't move them without causing them stress to the point that some may die, then I'll have to.
sad.png

Any advice????

Thanks!

What type of vehicle will you be using?

What time of the year will you be moving?

-Kim

Make sure you have all the right paperwork. The last time I hauled horses from LA to FL I was told the Coggins had to be done within the current year. Got to FL's point of entry and was told it had to be current within the last 6 months. Which meant I had to stop right there and have blood drawn on 10 horses. Local vet charged more than double what it would have been if I had done it before starting out. Ouch. So make SURE you meet all the requirements BEFORE you leave.

big_smile.png

Hawke gave you some very good advice.

Get all of your vet cert. paperwork done before you leave. Anywhere along the way you can be stopped and asked for the paper work as you pass through different states.

Hi Kim!

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Just been incredibly busy!!!!!

Well, we'll be using a trailer that's enclosed on 3-sides with plywood. The end is enclosed with a ramp that has v-mesh wire. The top is open, but we'll cover that. The chickens will be in a huge wire cage. It's 5 X 8.

Hawke-I'm not sure what you were referring to. I know about the requirements for hauling horses, but do chickens need to be vet checked? Is that what you meant? Wow, if that's true, I didn't know that. Good suggestion!

Joyce

Forgot Kim----

I hope to be moving in the spring or summer. They will be covered from drafts and all that. They will have food and water in the cage with them.

I just didn't know if anyone had attempted this before and how the chickens did.

Joyce

Drove chicks to GA and back. They did best when covered with a cloth. Seemed to calm them, night or day.

They didn't really eat or drink on the road.

Would plan on stopping early enough to let them settle down, and where you can leave a light on for them to eat & drink while you rest.

Wegotchickens,

Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought also----to cover them with a cloth and then uncover them when we stop. Wouldn't want them totally in the dark for 18 hours or however long it takes to get there. I think we're going to rent a motor home for all of our smaller animals. We can put a tarp down, put some shavings in the huge cage I'm going to use for the chickens & then cover them with a sheet.

Purr, I don't think they can randomly pull you over, but I could be wrong. I could ask a friend who hauls horses and see what he says. I'm not sure how that works.

I appreciate all the feedback. At least I know moving them with us is possible!

I think you will be okay. We hauled a cockatiel from NC to CA(and back again a few months later) in the backseat of a car with 3 dogs in early summer. I was young at the time, so only just now realizing how risky it was.

I think you will be fine, just make sure any predators don't get at the cages if you stop somewhere along the way. Chickens are tough. Just try to offer some water somewhere along the way, they probably would drink, but I always try with any animals anyway.

I would give it a try, people ship adult birds all the time through the mail. You can only imagine how animals are treated in the mail, I think your birds traveling with you will have a much better trip.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom