Reluctant layers in new nest boxes...HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lolita117, Sep 13, 2012.

1. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    So I had to change my nest boxes to rollout style due to an egg eating problem that all of a sudden developed. Anyways, new nest boxes have been in about 2 weeks. I’m having problems with both seasoned layers and new layers not wanting to lay in the nest boxes. About 4 weeks ago, on a day that I only lost a couple to eating/breaking I was getting as many as 27! And now my production has dropped to 12-18 eggs a day. I know they are laying on the floor and other places where egg eaters are having a field day, but what do I do?

*Fake eggs wouldn’t work since they would roll out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Found eggs everywhere this morning! Found 2 in the run and one on the coop floor. They were all laying just fine before in the old nest boxes but I had to switch because of the egg eating problem.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I would cull the egg eaters and replace them.

4. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Replace what? The egg eaters?

If my hens would lay in their new roll-out nest boxes I wouldn't even have to worry about the egg eaters, which I don't really now who they are out of the 69 chickens I have, or how many egg eaters I have. Not everybody is laying out of the nest boxes, I'm getting 12-18 eggs a day in the nest boxes, but think I should be getting as many as 30. Maybe 20-30 because I have several that are just starting to lay.

5. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Anybody switch to rollout nest boxes having my issues or simliar?

6. Macro

Macro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles County
    I wish I could help. I'm not using roll out boxes, but am also having box problems. All my chickens seem to want to lay in the same box, which leads to some of the eggs getting crushed. And if the box has another chicken in it when someone wants to lay... they tend to just plop it onto the floor...

Interested to see what kind of suggestions you'll get in regards to getting them to use the boxes. Hopefully bumping your post will help!

I'm interested to know if you changed all the nest boxes out at once, or did it gradually. Perhaps they're just a little confused. Maybe you could try doing half and half and then gradually remove the non-roll out ones.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I an going to recommend that you PM Opa, he uses these boxes and may have some suggestions for you

8. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    I changed them all at once. My previous nest boxes were built on the spot and to the wall. And though my new ones where built off location, they were built in a way to be permanently secured to the wall.

Old nest boxes:
    [​IMG]

New ones:
    [​IMG]

I'm afraid if I put up some regular ones (like 2-3 on a different wall) that everybody will try to lay in those and not want to lay in the roll out. I think the 2 things they are liking is no bedding to stratch around and the slope [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by