Remington 870 question

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
Hi,

Can I shoot slugs through a Rem 870 20g? Would it dispatch feral pigs (some type of potbelly cross)? I can get close enough to shoot a BB gun at them. Found a goose nest at my pond that they destroyed, after finding them in my corral this morning about to run one of my horses through the fence. :-(

I think at some point they may have eated on one of the neighbors horses (he had a bunch of BLM horses, and is now mysteriously down to 3). He is the same one who let the pigs loose... Doesn't feed the horses or the pigs, they run loose everywhere. The pigs seem waaaay too interested in my horses. Last year they spent two days following my horse around her 20 ac pasture. I didn't think much of, I thought either they would quit or she would settle down. Well, they never quit. I had to put her somewhere else to get them to go away. After reading more about pigs and how bloodthirsty they can become, I am very concerned that they have eaten horseflesh and are hunting her.

I would have grabbed a (real) gun this morning, but decided I better try a few practice shots and work on it over the weekend, when I'm a little more calm. I did shoot them with the BB gun as I ran them across my pasture back home. In the past they have turned to face me, and I didn't have a pitch fork or anything in my hand to keep myself safe.

Stupid, stupid people. SIGH.

- Michelle

Do you have a rifle? Can you shoot it in your area or are you a shotgun only area?

I use a .243 when hunting and it is great, especially at long distances. I can't shoot where I live though, "NO SHOOTING ZONE" on my side of the street. The neighbors on the otherside, with only five acre parcels can shoot each other to high heaven.

You certainly can shoot a slug through a 20 guage shot gun. They should be on the same shelf as the 12 guage slugs. I wouldn't be taking any practice shots with the BB gun though. You may make them mad and they can easily turn on you. Have you ever read "Ole Yeller"?

We have hogs on the family ranch and trap them. The guy who comes out is part of the US Department of Agriculture--wildlife something or other. He brings his own trap and we provide the corn. You aught to be able to call your local county extension service and track down a trapper of some sort if you don't want to try this yourself. I just don't know if they would hang around and charge you if one of their own went down. Take it very carefully. And if you get a sow, be prepared to butcher it and serve it up later as chops, sausage and the like.
big_smile.png

We have two rifles in the family that my uncles borrowed and ruined. :-( The .223 was filed down for competition shooting so it would shoot easier, and now its VERY unsafe to use. I used to shoot that when I was a kid. I got out grandpa's 30 ought today and the scope is off of it! Guess I should buy a scope, sight it, and hide it in my house, away from my uncles.

Geeze, they are 50 and 60 year old men. You'd think they'd grow up some day!

Anyway, what I have on hand that I know is in good working order is a .357 handgun, .17 rimfire with a great scope on it, and the 870. From what I've read, if you butcher a pig in sight of the other pigs, the other pigs will try to eat it. It doesn't scare them like it does other species. If I shoot a pig, I have nooooo intentions of going near it - especially if the other pigs are going to devour it. Ugh.

- Michelle

depends on the choke of the shotgun. If it is a screw in choke go get a slug or cylinder bore choke. I would not shot a slug in anything tighter than IC choke.
smile.png

Hello up in the 4 corners. I'm down in Carlsbad. We have a ferile pig problem down here. They make good eating in the form of roasts and sausage. My husband shoots them with a Thirty-0-six. Drops them like flies. I'm sorry but I would have to eliminate them all if they were bothering and threatening my horses or pets. They get BIG down here. Good luck and happy hunting.
wink.png

Better yet try large guage Buckshot. Unless you have rifle sights on a slug barrel you won't be as accurate, especially at longer ranges. A wounded pig may be as bad as a wounded grizzly.

Back
Top Bottom