Remote Car Starter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sherry, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Is it really true they are now less than $100? I looked at them, I don't know, a year or so ago, and they were $300.

I've been looking at them online today and one kit was $79. Is this really all you need? I don't want to buy it and then the package says I need to buy some other piece for $300.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Depends on what year the car is, and if you are going to try and install it yourself or not.
    If the car has one of those "computer chips" in the key, it gets a little involved.

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i would not recommend them, they stop working after a while, and they will make the car not wanna start. I'm in auto mechanic and Ive had to disable quite a few since Ive been doing this.

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Desert Rooster thanks, have been wanting one but wondered if it would cause problems down the road.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I too, am in the car biz. They are a waste of money, IMO. But they do make us car people money, when they cause alarm problems, no starts, battery drainage, tow ins, etc. when they need to be disabled.

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Thanks much! I appreciate the in put.

7. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Have had remote start on 3 vehicles. 2 no problems at all. 2007 camry-- loads of problems. They had put something in to override the computer but the lights still stayed on onctithe ignition was turned off if the car was started with the remote start and parked in a dark garage. It wasn't a problem in daylight. Only in the dark because of the cars sensors. Cost me 2 batteries & lots of headache. Finally they worked around it & no problems now, but I won't put the remote start on my new van because of all the problems I had with the camry.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by