Remote Ducks

wareagle044

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2022
I have 34 ducks on my 1 acre homestead of which I think I am maxed out at my primary residence. We do have an 80 acre farm about an hour from our house with approximately 6 acres worth of ponds.

I would love to keep ducks out there; however, I am unable to visit outside of the weekends. I’m not going to release ducks to fend for themselves against predators at night. Is there anyone here who has an automatic set up that allows ducks to free range during the day, but train to confine themselves at night?

Long shot, but ducks would be a great addition to our ecosystem out there if I could figure something out.

Yeah, risky.

An island (either floating or earthen) will protect them from many predators. If a coon or canine wants to swim to the island the ducks can see it coming and get away. However, they're a sitting duck for something like an eagle.

I wouldn't want them sleeping in a coop or duck house because that could be a death trap. A flock of ducks roost on the edge of a pond with one eye open and a sentry. If they can't fly then the water is their escape route.

A feeder sitting unattended on the bank is asking for trouble too. How about a broadcast feeder with timer up on legs.

But yeah. With 6 acres of ponds you need some ducks.

Last edited:
Yeah, risky.

An island (either floating or earthen) will protect them from many predators. If a coon or canine wants to swim to the island the ducks can see it coming and get away. However, they're a sitting duck for something like an eagle.

I wouldn't want them sleeping in a coop or duck house because that could be a death trap. A flock of ducks roost on the edge of a pond with one eye open and a sentry. If they can't fly then the water is their escape route.

A feeder sitting unattended on the bank is asking for trouble too. How about a broadcast feeder with timer up on legs.

But yeah. With 6 acres of ponds you need some ducks.
I was wondering if you have any snapping turtles where you are? They are notorious for biting off ducks legs or drowning them. I would be a nervous wreck leaving them for any length of time alone. I know it is the balance of nature but I get too attached to mine to risk anything happening to them. Good luck with your decision.

I was wondering if you have any snapping turtles where you are?
No, only Red Ear Sliders; but a lot of them. I've accused them of grabbing ducklings but never caught one in the act. We also have bullfrogs that will gulp down a duckling in a second. And herons.

You can find plans for turtle traps online. But, I don't think they will work for snappers. In the old days they caught snappers with set lines and jug lines (baited hook and line). Snappers are getting sort of trendy now though with lots of fans.

Last edited:
No, only Red Ear Sliders; but a lot of them. I've accused them of grabbing ducklings but never caught one in the act. We also have bullfrogs that will gulp down a duckling in a second. And herons.

You can find plans for turtle traps online. But, I don't think they will work for snappers. In the old days they caught snappers with set lines and jug lines (baited hook and line). Snappers are getting sort of trendy now though with lots of fans.
My Uncle used to catch snapping turtles with those jug lines and they would be as big as the bottom of a huge barrel. My friends thought all ducks had to have a pond. Since mine have only had large containers of water to bathe in they don't know what one is so they don't miss it. At least that is what I tell them, lol. I can surely see why any babies you might get would be in danger in a pond there just like most other places. Good luck with your ducks and any ducklings that you might get.

Back
Top Bottom