Remove heat lamp?

Twolf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
I have between 5 and 6 weeks old Chicks, they are all fully feathered, they have had several trips outside. I have not moved them to a chicken coop outside yet, because we are finishing it up. They are kept in a dog kennel inside my cool basement, it is 60 degrees at night. Should I take the heat lamp away completely and just use a regular light bulb so they have constant light? They will be moved outside in another week.
Thank you

I like to start taking the light away all together between 4-6 weeks. Then after a few days they go outside in a grow out coop until they are old enough to integrate with the older flock.

At that age and in 60 degrees they don’t need heat. You can provide some if you want but make sure they have plenty of room to get away from it if they wish. It doesn’t matter which type of light you use to provide light in that dark basement, but I’m of the opinion that a less bright light is more soothing. They don’t need it bright, just bright enough so they can see to eat and drink.

As far as light in a dark basement, I’d start turning the light off at night. The first time you do that, they are likely to get excited but if you stick with it they will get used to the dark and settle down. If you think just turning the light off and letting them get used to the dark will permanently scar their psyche and cause them to forever hate their parents (it won’t) you can start by turning the lights off for a few minutes and gradually leaving it off for longer stretches. They need to get used to the day/night cycles they’ll get outside anyway.

At that age and in 60 degrees they don’t need heat. You can provide some if you want but make sure they have plenty of room to get away from it if they wish. It doesn’t matter which type of light you use to provide light in that dark basement, but I’m of the opinion that a less bright light is more soothing. They don’t need it bright, just bright enough so they can see to eat and drink.

As far as light in a dark basement, I’d start turning the light off at night. The first time you do that, they are likely to get excited but if you stick with it they will get used to the dark and settle down. If you think just turning the light off and letting them get used to the dark will permanently scar their psyche and cause them to forever hate their parents (it won’t) you can start by turning the lights off for a few minutes and gradually leaving it off for longer stretches. They need to get used to the day/night cycles they’ll get outside anyway.
x2

Thank you for your input. First timer here of course. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom