Remove new born chick?

stumpdog

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 4, 2011
We have a broody hen sitting on about seven eggs. One hatched about three days ago. The hen continues to sit on the remaining eggs. Wonder if we should remove the one chick to make sure it gets feed and water?

Same here, I took two chicks and dunked their beaks in the watered like you normally do. They’re back in the nest with mom today. I’m just going to let nature do it’s work. If they die, they die. If they live, they live.

Thanks, both of you. I've put in some water and chick feed. We'll see how it goes.
If this makes you feel better, I put a camera in my coop and I saw the mom get off the nest and bring the two hatched chicks with her to get food and water. I’ve never seen her off the nest so she was just doing it when I wasn’t around. She goes back on the nest after they eat and drink.

Just to follow up, mother hen eventually gave up on the rest of the eggs and is doting on the single chick. I think the fact that a nasty storm blew through last night probably focussed her priorities.

Back
Top Bottom