Removing birds from flock

I've done broomstick.

You pin the bird's neck under the broomstick just at the base of the skull, stand FIRMLY on the broomstick, take the bird by the legs, and give a sharp jerk.

You can stun the bird first or not.

When you get the jerk just right the neck breaks, severing the spinal cord, but the head does not come off. The bird will flap VIGOROUSLY as a reaction to the spinal cord being severed, which is alarming, but that vigorous flapping is the sign that you've done it right.

If you continue to hold the bird upside down by the ankles while it flaps the blood will collect inside the skin in the gap where the spine is separated.

After the flapping stops you can cut the head off with kitchen shears, dropping it and the collected blood into a trash can.

Then process, plucking or skinning as you choose.

The bird will flap VIGOROUSLY as a reaction to the spinal cord being severed, which is alarming, but that vigorous flapping is the sign that you've done it right.
Like some others, I prefer hatchet-and-stump decapitation.

The bird flaps that way too, but I find it reassuring to see the head completely OFF during that time. (Because I know I got it right and the bird really is dead, not suffering.)

Like some others, I prefer hatchet-and-stump decapitation.

The bird flaps that way too, but I find it reassuring to see the head completely OFF during that time. (Because I know I got it right and the bird really is dead, not suffering.)

I don't have the coordination for that.

I want to set up a killing cone and learn to use it but until I can set it up I can do the broomstick.

I have done both ways. They will flap both ways. When I do the broom stick, their head did not come off. It is clean, and you don't have blood all over.

I also have done the kill cone, and it is nice for a woman smaller hands, and give me more control. The hatchet and stump work well, but I do my birds by myself, and I am not quite sure if I could handle the bird, the stump, and the hatchet all together.

The first ones are hard, not matter how you do it, good to have someone else with you, if you can.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom