Removing Cashew and Terry

Should I get rid of them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm known to be stubborn. I can't help feeling like lots of people get annoyed with me after the first day.
:idunno
The thing is, when a person comes asking for help or advice and people take their time to share their experience (Lazy Gardener and Aart both have lots of experience raising chickens), and then the OP argues or keeps asking the same question in different ways, it does get frustrating. I tend to do the same thing to my poor husband sometimes when I'm really trying to figure out how to make something work.

That being said, there is no one way to raise chickens. There are as many different situations as there are chicken keepers. Something that may work for you in Wisconsin with your 4-5 chickens, may not work for the person in Texas with 30 chickens. But there are a few things that need to be kept in mind. These also aren't "rules", so much as general information. There are no hard and fast rules to chicken keeping, but it's wise to pay attention to some guidelines that others pass along.

1. Chickens need space and lots of it. More in the winter than in the summer.
2. Chickens are territorial. They don't welcome newcomers with open wings, so to speak. They are too busy guarding their space and their resources.
3. Chickens hate change. Any change - removal from the flock, addition to the flock, new housing - will put them off. They may or may not stop laying. They may or may not adapt quickly.

Ultimately, you are the only one who can decide whether to keep your Oddballs or not. I think if you're unhappy with them, it's OK to remove them from the flock. Just remember that no matter where you send them, they will have a hard time integrating. That's just how it goes with chickens. (See #2) Often, when you add more birds to a flock, you end up with two sub-flocks instead of one big happy family. If you add more chickens after rehoming Cashew and Terry, there is no guarantee that they will fit in any better. If you decide to keep C&T, you could work on taming them. It takes time and patience, and lots of just sitting near them and tossing treats letting them get closer to you. If you try to catch them, you will only cause them to be more afraid.

3. Chickens hate change. Any change - removal from the flock, addition to the flock, new housing - will put them off. They may or may not stop laying. They may or may not adapt quickly.
I would remove C&T on feb. 24, since that is when the swap is. I won't get the new chicks until early April. Do you think that is enough time for my pullets to adjust back? The pullets currently don't even mind the Oddballs, only pecking when they get in their face, and never drawing blood (thankfully). I want my pullets to be happy as well, and I know they're going to get more mature and meaner to other chickens when they are older, but for now they are pretty sweet and just care about me. I'm pretty sure this will change, but by how much? Will they get mean with me? (I'm not afraid of them, just worried we won't have a bond anymore. Plus I know many ways to keep me at the top of the pecking order.)
you could work on taming them. It takes time and patience, and lots of just sitting near them and tossing treats letting them get closer to you. If you try to catch them, you will only cause them to be more afraid.
I think I will work on them being more friendly. Because if I decide to keep them, then I want them to like me, and if I don't, at least I can try to make them more relaxed before they leave, and try to fix the hole in the bond between them and humans.

I would remove C&T on feb. 24, since that is when the swap is. I won't get the new chicks until early April. Do you think that is enough time for my pullets to adjust back? The pullets currently don't even mind the Oddballs, only pecking when they get in their face, and never drawing blood (thankfully). I want my pullets to be happy as well, and I know they're going to get more mature and meaner to other chickens when they are older, but for now they are pretty sweet and just care about me. I'm pretty sure this will change, but by how much? Will they get mean with me? (I'm not afraid of them, just worried we won't have a bond anymore. Plus I know many ways to keep me at the top of the pecking order.)

I think I will work on them being more friendly. Because if I decide to keep them, then I want them to like me, and if I don't, at least I can try to make them more relaxed before they leave, and try to fix the hole in the bond between them and humans.

I'll throw in my $0.02 here. First, beautiful birds...I love having a really diverse flock and you have two "unique" ones there. I'd keep them and here's why. Getting two new chicks is going to make you go through all the hassle of integration again. Just getting two new chicks does NOT guarantee the new ones will be any more friendly. They will start laying eventually, as others have pointed out, it's winter and they're young. Give them some time.

My first flock was full of lap chickens and I thought, as a newbie chicken wrangler, that that's how ALL chickens would behave. My second flock was NO WHERE NEAR as friendly as the first flock, even though I raised them all from chicks and spent LOTS of time handling them. Each bird is an individual, and some just don't like to be held. I'm not trying to be mean with my next statement so don't take it that way...but if you want a strong bond with a pet, get a dog. Chickens will be chickens and you take what you get (or what they give you), and give them the best life possible while enjoying their antics (and breakfast benefits).

Best of luck with your decision!

Back
Top Bottom