Removing dud eggs?

lilnuggets

Songster
Nov 30, 2017
Tucson AZ
I'm looking for options on removing dud eggs from my ducks nest. Last time she went broody she had 8 and only 2 that developed but she smooshed them both before they hatched and neither survived. Last time I left everything alone and just let her do her thing.

So here we are at round 2. She started out with 14 eggs this time. I only see 1 egg for sure developing at this point and 1 was cracked all the way through so I tossed that one. I also have one that is really discolored that i am strongly considering cracking open tomorrow because it just doesn't look right at all (i have another post about that egg). She has been sitting on them a little over a week now. So my questions are;

1. Should I remove the dud eggs and when?

2. At what point can I be 100% there is no chance something won't develop?

3. What are the chances of her actually continuing to be Broody with only 1 egg under her?

Any other tips or info on letting a broody duck hatching little ones on her own is appreciated!

I'd put her some where's different, in a tote or bin, or cardboard box, put lots of straw or wood chips in, and get food and water in there and start off with 6-12 eggs. Than candle the eggs every 5-6 days. keep a close eye on the eggs everyday until maybe you hatch them. I think you might have your set up wrong and someone else might be disrupting her or spooking her. Leave her alone on the last 3 days before hatch if on the 16th day they're well developed.
I'm looking for options on removing dud eggs from my ducks nest. Last time she went broody she had 8 and only 2 that developed but she smooshed them both before they hatched and neither survived. Last time I left everything alone and just let her do her thing.

So here we are at round 2. She started out with 14 eggs this time. I only see 1 egg for sure developing at this point and 1 was cracked all the way through so I tossed that one. I also have one that is really discolored that i am strongly considering cracking open tomorrow because it just doesn't look right at all (i have another post about that egg). She has been sitting on them a little over a week now. So my questions are;

1. Should I remove the dud eggs and when?

2. At what point can I be 100% there is no chance something won't develop?

3. What are the chances of her actually continuing to be Broody with only 1 egg under her?

Any other tips or info on letting a broody duck hatching little ones on her own is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom