Removing/trimming rooster spurs

Quote:
If you cut back the spurs ( instead of husking them), do the spurs still grow back ? ?
If so, how long does it take for them to grow back ? ?

I watched a video on you-tube on cutting them back and they used a razor blade to do something to the spur before cutting it. It kinda look like he was trying to remove the thicker outer skin a little before cutting the spur . . .

After that, he used so type of cutter to cut the spur. Then applied blood stop powder.

So, is this pretty much the process you use?
What is the purpose of the razor blade on the outer skin of the spur before cutting with the tool?
What is the tool called and where do you get it?
Do you apply antibotic ointment or anything after the blood stop powder has worked?
How long before you return the roo to the flock?

Quote:
How big of a potatoe and how long in the microwave?
idunno.gif

I was wondering if a spur can cause my hen to not use her foot?
I noticed her limping around yesterday, and when I finally caught her
I noticed a large spur on her leg. I've been reading about removing
the spur, but can anyone tell me if the spur could cause a chicken to
not be able to use their leg?
hu.gif

Quote:
Limping might be from Bumblefoot. google it and see a picture of it.
Look at the bottom of her foot and see if there is a gray scab . . . Tell tale sign of bumblefoot.

Quote:
Limping might be from Bumblefoot. google it and see a picture of it.
Look at the bottom of her foot and see if there is a gray scab . . . Tell tale sign of bumblefoot.

Thank you, I went out and checked the bottom of her foot and it looks normal.
I also checked the site online that you suggested, and it doesn't look like that.
I trimmed just a little off the tip of the spur with a drummel (it didn't seem to bother her) but didn't
take off much as it looked like it was getting close to the quick. I didn't want to hurt her.
She hasn't started walking on her foot yet either. If I can get a potatoe and put on it like suggested
in an earlier post, then maybe the spur will come off.
fl.gif

If there is any other suggestions it would be most appreciated.

I just got a trio of Golden Phoenix last night. The rooster is apparently known to be...what's the word...a devil at times. I think I will just make his spurs blunt until his attitude is calmed a bit. He has very sharp 2in long spurs. Thanks for all this info guys.

That is actually one of the best ways, if not the best way, to remove spurs. Before you call it ridiculous, do a little research.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom