Removing/trimming rooster spurs

No one says...... what is the spur inside the spur?

Is it bone? Is it cartilage?

What happens if you try to trim the spur in the spur after you remove the outer casing?

Looks like the dremel tool cuts through both spurs. And it all grows back? Anyone know how long it takes for both spur and outer casing to grow back?

I did not know that is what has been happening to my hen. I thought he was pulling the feathers out with his beak when he was trying to catch her.

Sylviaanne, the "spur inside" is the quick, or "toe" like inside a dog's toenail, or under your own finger nails. If you try to do anything to the quick after removing the outer spur (which btw has no nerve endings) you can potentially cause your rooster to bleed out and die.

Yes a demel, a file, a hacksaw etc. are all methods of removing pr blunting spurs. Issues with these methods of removal include injuring the rooster by twisting the base of the spur (does contain nerve endings & is very sensitive in some), filing can cause ragged edges that can catch on things in their pen etc.

I personally prefer the hot potato method. It works quickly, the bleeding is less of an issue, you're not as likely to twist the spur sidewise at the base and injure him etc and he heals quickly.

** Excessive bleeding should be managed with flour or a store bought bleeding management powder
** The quick extends approximately 1/3 - 2/3 down the spur depending on how long it is.
** Roosters should be isolated from all other birds to minimize risk of injuries
** Freshly removed spur quick should not be touched or bumped for at least a week (which is why you should isolate them) else they may begin to bleed.
** Spurs will grow back eventually, but it takes approximately 2 - 4-weeks for the outer sheath to harden, and several months for the spur to grow to a length of any consequence.
** If spurs are consistently removed, they will eventually grow to be shorter in length on average.
** To help ease the transition from isolation to integration back into the flock it sometimes helps to keep their isolation cage either near the main coop where his normal flock-mates can see him, or IN the coop itself.

:) Hope this helps!! :)

Sylviaanne, the "spur inside" is the quick, or "toe" like inside a dog's toenail, or under your own finger nails. If you try to do anything to the quick after removing the outer spur (which btw has no nerve endings) you can potentially cause your rooster to bleed out and die.

Yes a demel, a file, a hacksaw etc. are all methods of removing pr blunting spurs. Issues with these methods of removal include injuring the rooster by twisting the base of the spur (does contain nerve endings & is very sensitive in some), filing can cause ragged edges that can catch on things in their pen etc.

I personally prefer the hot potato method. It works quickly, the bleeding is less of an issue, you're not as likely to twist the spur sidewise at the base and injure him etc and he heals quickly.

** Excessive bleeding should be managed with flour or a store bought bleeding management powder
** The quick extends approximately 1/3 - 2/3 down the spur depending on how long it is.
** Roosters should be isolated from all other birds to minimize risk of injuries
** Freshly removed spur quick should not be touched or bumped for at least a week (which is why you should isolate them) else they may begin to bleed.
** Spurs will grow back eventually, but it takes approximately 2 - 4-weeks for the outer sheath to harden, and several months for the spur to grow to a length of any consequence.
** If spurs are consistently removed, they will eventually grow to be shorter in length on average.
** To help ease the transition from isolation to integration back into the flock it sometimes helps to keep their isolation cage either near the main coop where his normal flock-mates can see him, or IN the coop itself.

:) Hope this helps!! :)

If I don't get an answer to my posts within a few days, say 3, I tend to think they won't get answered, so for this, I say Thank You!

Yes, it does help but I hadn't really looked at their spurs when I was reading and posting this. I know that the feathers on her back had to be caused by the roosters but when I looked at their spurs, they don't seem even as long as the toes on the front part of their feet. As long as they don't do this again and they are not using them to harm anyone, chicken or human, I am just going to leave them alone. Thank you very much.

If I don't get an answer to my posts within a few days, say 3, I tend to think they won't get answered, so for this, I say Thank You!

Yes, it does help but I hadn't really looked at their spurs when I was reading and posting this. I know that the feathers on her back had to be caused by the roosters but when I looked at their spurs, they don't seem even as long as the toes on the front part of their feet. As long as they don't do this again and they are not using them to harm anyone, chicken or human, I am just going to leave them alone. Thank you very much.

The assumption that your question may not be answered is probably a good one.

Rather than their spurs being the problem, perhaps they are simply "bored" for lack of other hens?? IDK what your roo to hen ratio is, but I've found that although they say 10/1 is the proper ratio for good fertilization... all my roos are entirely too rambunctious, so my ratio is in the range of 13/1 instead. Also I've had issues with the hen getting herself "stuck" somewhere and loosing feathers in the process of coming down off a high beam in the loft or whatever, or the new puppy wanting to play and catching her tail type of thing. IDK if any of these may be possible contributing factors with your situation?? You may need to think about getting hen capes, or an isolation cage to "cool him off in" if you think it's due to being over-bred. Hope you figure it out! :)

I want to thank those who advocated the twist and pull off method of removing rooster spurs. I have a Rhode Island Red Rooster who lost an eye early in his life in a fight with another rooster. He has lived in a cage every since. His spurs had gotten quite long. Like over 4". I had experienced a rooster once who broke a spur and he bled all over. So, I had septic power on hand. With my son's help, he held "Red" while I worked on the spurs. I guess since they were so big the spur crushed somewhat on the first try, sort of like the sheath on a cat's claw. But then I heard the popping sound of the spur separating from the leg. And it came right off.

Yes, there was some blood but "Red" did not seem to mind. I wiped the blood from his new short spur and dabbed it with iodine. Then I powered it with the septic powder. The second spur went easier.

The new spurs oozed a little blood but by the next day all was dried and black. Since he is in a cage I can keep an eye on whether he has any infection.

All my other roosters have never had this problem since being outside they seem to find a way to wear down their spurs naturally.

Thanks for the advice. "Red" is one happy camper now because he can run around again without tripping over his spurs.

Hansel2001

I'm pretty sure the correct word is "styptic", not septic. I used a styptic pencil on myself back when I shaved. Septic is the place where effluent goes when you flush the toilet. :)

I saw the hot potato method mentioned many times and people asking for more details on this method a few times but didn't see an answer...so I will try again:) how long do you microwave the potato for - how hot should it be? Also will there be any bleeding when using this method?

My pullets and roos are only 4 months old the issue i am having is with 2 of the pullets their front toe nails are very long and when they are sitting on my arm or leg they have pierced the skin my vet said to use clippers for a cats nails to cut them but i am scared to do it has anyone done this

My pullets and roos are only 4 months old the issue i am having is with 2 of the pullets their front toe nails are very long and when they are sitting on my arm or leg they have pierced the skin  my vet said to use clippers for a cats nails to cut them but i am scared to do it has anyone done this 
. ArcticMermaid - I have not had to trim their nails but I have seen videos on YouTube about how to do this. Search chicken spur trimming or chicken nail trimming and you should come up with videos. What they say is you can do it with regular nail trimmers or dog nail trimmers. You just need to be careful of the vein in the nail (just like a dog) - don't cut down too far - just the tips. If you do cut too far it can cause them to bleed (and if not treated - bleed to death). You can use sceptic powder or corn starch to stop the bleeding - but if they bleed rremember to keep them separate from the other flock members until healed. Hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom