renaming my flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by addiedunn, Jan 11, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I've been thinking that my entire flock may need renaming. Although, 'entire flock' may be a stretch. I have 4 birds. Not one like the other and they have paired off. Two couples. A partridge rooster with a RIR hen, the two of which never ever leave the coop and share a nesting box together. We named the rooster Lucy when we thought he was a she. So we switched his name to Louie The RIR is just Red.
    [​IMG]
    That's louie.
    We also have a Golden Comet and when we got her we weren't sure how old she was but her back feathers were in rough shape and she looked awful but we took her anyway. She looked so bad we called her Granny. She has since gone through a molt and is absolutely beautiful. "Granny" just doesn't suit her anymore.
    [​IMG]
    before and after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Granny gets out every day with her boyfriend Roo, who we've renamed Roo Diesel. He charges strangers now. We're hoping to get that under control by spring. He is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. His tail feathers were perfect before he singed them off under the brooder lamp. (I had it on in the coop to warm them up one particularly cold day).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, they have split between the two couples and don't ever associate during the day. Should I make the other couple, Louie and his Red leave the nest once in a while? I know it's a new relationship and all [​IMG] but is it healthy?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Beautiful birds.

3. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Quote:Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by