Rendered lard for first time - it separated?

Jul 17, 2021
Northwest Iowa
Does anyone have experience with this? I was trying to make a shelf stable lard. I used 7.5 lbs of pork fat run through the meat grinder. Rendered for 10 hours on low setting on slow cooker. Did not add water. This was from a pasture raised hog. Strained it through cheesecloth into jars then added seals and rings. Left on the counter overnight to listen for the "ping". When I got up this morning, it seems to have separated and is pretty runny? They all sealed but I feel like i must have done something wrong or not done something! I was hoping to use some for making bar soap but don't know if I can now? Why did it separate? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220131_064402.jpg
    20220131_064402.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 96
Odd? How can fat change into fat and water?
I get butter changing into ghee and milk fats.
I was going to do my lard too it's sounded like you're doing it right from the YT I watched. Hope someone can help.

I haven't used a slow cooker for rendering, but do you think that perhaps the lid allowed moisture to gather and drip back down? It's possible you have two different fat densities, but you'll have to open one up to be sure what you're dealing with.

Odd? How can fat change into fat and water?
I get butter changing into ghee and milk fats.
I was going to do my lard too it's sounded like you're doing it right from the YT I watched. Hope someone can help.
I put it in the fridge and it all became solid. So I guess it was some kind of oily fat at the top? Seems to be fine now. I pulled them back out of the fridge. Maybe I was too impatient and just didn't wait long enough. No idea. Haha Thank you for the reply 🥰

I haven't used a slow cooker for rendering, but do you think that perhaps the lid allowed moisture to gather and drip back down? It's possible you have two different fat densities, but you'll have to open one up to be sure what you're dealing with.
Thank you! It appears there are two densities. Both layers hardened in the fridge. I didn't realize it could do that!

Thank you! It looks fabulous now. Going to try making oatmeal and honey bar soap tonight. Crossing my fingers :)
I'm so glad it solidified back to white. I bet it will be fine for soap. Good luck and send pic of final product.( We are suckers for pics) In the past I've bought some soap from a soap shop in Colo. I think they used palm oil as Colo is very dry state. Do you make soap a lot or just gifts. My hubby was addicted to Irish Spring(YUCK) then he realized how fast it melts!!??. I use a tea tree oil based french milled soap and now he loves that kind.😉:) I should try my hand at soap I guess. Have you ever made from grocery store lard? asking for a friend! lol

Its partly from the feed the pigs were fed and partly from genetics. The liquid is more unsaturated fat as opposed to the solids that are saturated. Can be caused by excessive BOSS and other similar feeds.

Back
Top Bottom