Rendered lard for first time - it separated?

Its partly from the feed the pigs were fed and partly from genetics. The liquid is more unsaturated fat as opposed to the solids that are saturated. Can be caused by excessive BOSS and other similar feeds.
I have raised pigs for a few years now. Always raised the same way and fed the same grain. This year when I rendered lard it separated or was not as firm as usual. I am very frustrated as this year I was hoping to free up freezer space and store the lard on the shelf.
1. I put it in the fridge to harden it up but will it be shelf stable after?
2. What is BOSS?

I have raised pigs for a few years now. Always raised the same way and fed the same grain. This year when I rendered lard it separated or was not as firm as usual. I am very frustrated as this year I was hoping to free up freezer space and store the lard on the shelf.
1. I put it in the fridge to harden it up but will it be shelf stable after?
2. What is BOSS?
Black oil sunflower seeds is BOSS.
Were the pigs from the same farm, same parents? It can be genetics. It should still be shelf stable just keep it dark and cool as possible.

Did all of the fat come from the same place on the hog? As Shealoner said above, it probably is a mixture of saturated and unsaturated fat. you should be able to skim off the thin, runny layer.

Back
Top Bottom