Renewed love for chickens!

AParmer

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Graham, Alabama
Hi everyone. I'm going to take the easy way out and copy/paste the cheat sheet.
big_smile.png

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am certainly not new to chickens. My parents had a yard full when I was a teenager. I remember them bringing home month old chicks and laying claim to one in particular. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen! I painted her little toe nails and when that wore off I'd do it again. I no longer do this of course. And I don't encourage it as I'm now sure that it's not very healthy for them. We had a horse at the time as well. One afternoon I went out to do my daily grooming of our horse, Pilgrim, and noticed a lone two week old chick in his stall! I had to get it out before he got stepped on. Though Pilgrim was as gentle as the days are long, I was very worried about this baby. I go in and get the baby headed in the right direction and out of nowhere momma (a game hen of some sort) came to protect her young. She pecked me on my right temple and right above my right eyebrow before I knew what hit me. Covered in blood and shocked I stepped back and let her take over. She was doing what any of us would do when our children are threatened. We moved and I grew up and made it into the world on my own I didn't have chickens. I never really had a place for them. Though I do now!!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We recently went to a local sale to purchase chickens for laying and bug control, as we are surrounded by pastures. We came home with 15 new chickens. We have lost two since then. One from old age and I'm thinking a wild animal got the other. So currently we have 10 adults, 3 young adults, and I brought home 6 two day old chicks Friday.

(3) What breeds do you have?
One Dominique rooster, One Buff Orpington hen, One adult Ameraucana hen, three young adult Ameraucanas (two hens and one rooster), One adult Rhode Island Red, Six young adult Rhode Island Reds (they were all sold as hens, though they were very wrong, there's two hens and four roosters), and last but certainly not least (and my new favorite breed) I just brought home six Black Australorps!!

I do have to add here, that the smallest of our Ameraucana chicks is my love. We call her baby chick. From the day we brought them home I have picked her up and toted her around the yard with me daily. To say she's spoiled is a bit of an understatement. She's found herself a way to slip out of the fence and follows me any time she sees one of us go out the gate. She's jumped in my van a few times as I was trying to leave. I even pick her up and feed her separately from everyone else. I just don't want any bullying going on since she's the smallest.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was looking for tips on raising chickens since this is the first time I've had my own to take care of. Google put BYC close to the top of the list. Thank you Google!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy the outdoors greatly! I love to fish, camp, ride 4-wheelers, and should be living on the water. Music is my life, I catch a good rock concert any time I have a chance. Very much enjoy reading, of course shopping, and spending time with friends and family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm married to a wonderful man, Josh. We have the coolest son ever, Jacob. He's a rocker just like his daddy and me. He's extremely caring, empathetic, and intelligent. He will be eight in June. We have two dogs, who are treated just like people. Willie Nelson, an English Springer Spaniel. You will see many pictures of him with the chickens. He seems to protect them. And Minnie, a Rat Terrier. They are expecting their first litter of pups May 17. We can't wait! Then they're getting fixed, we wanted a pup off of them first. I am currently a security officer. I've been doing security for almost two years now. Before that I spent almost five years doing private in home care for the elderly. Which I loved very much and miss. It's a very hard line of work due to getting attached to a client and them passing. I sat with my first little lady for two years, five and six days a week, twelve hours a day. It's extremely hard not to have a connection with someone you care about. I was with her when she passed. Don't think I would have had it any other way. RIP Lema

I suppose that is it for now. I will probably think of something else about the time I post this. I'm okay with questions if you have any. And I'm so glad to be here and be a part of something joyful!!

Greetings from Kansas, aparmer, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! Sounds like you are well on your way to chicken paradise! Might keep on eye on those roosters - you have a pretty hi rooster to hen ratio. Good luck to you and have fun with your flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Baby is likely to get bullied because the other chickens see she gets special attention - they can be a lot like kids. It would be better if she was fed with them etc, unless you decide to make her a housepet

Wow, such warm welcomes! Thank you all!

Redsoxs: I'm pleased to say that my husband and father have two of the RIR roosters picked out for the pot. And the remaining RIR roosters are going back to the sale. They are very agressive. Especially when they mount the Ameraucana hen. She screams bloody murder. They do a number on her poor feathers as well. I must say the our Dominique is a gentleman in that manner, not a peep out of her when he stakes his claim. He was full grown when we brought him home, unlike the RIRs.

I didn't even think of this! Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention. I have noticed that everyone has their own personality and there is a pecking order. I certainly don't want to hinder her ability to find her place in it.

Back
Top Bottom