"renovating coop"

Kneiley1

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
May be way over thinking this but...

I am thinking about opening up moving things around in the coop so I can have more chickens, have 6 thinking 6+ more. LOL should have known I would want more! I have a contained run/coop area. The run is 12 ft long (expanding to 16 ft to put a baby chick area) and about 5 ft wide. Sand floor with building built on a foundation of blocks so vermin can not dig under. The raised part is too small. 3x4 or so. Chickens are let out during day into a great sized open area 30 or so by 12 or so with a shed for them to get underneath or back into run/coop. I know a lot of detail but want to get feed back on closing up whole coop so its 16x6, then moving roosting area out of shut up place and opening that up so nesting boxes there but roosting places out in the main area. Will they just figure it out? It will be 16 weeks or so til we try to integrate new birds so thinking I should adjust by 3 year old hens to new place not change all at once or throw them in all together? So many details...Love to start some dialogue so I can think this through

Pictures of your existing coop could help with understanding what you are wanting to do. Chickens don't like change but they do adjust. I have changed things up in my shed and coop and everyone figures it all out. If you are looking to enlarge your current coop that's a great idea as you can never have enough room. Crowded birds are usually aggressive birds.

Just posted the photos on my page. Can not figure out how to attach them to reply.

May be way over thinking this but...

I am thinking about opening up moving things around in the coop so I can have more chickens, have 6 thinking 6+ more. LOL should have known I would want more! I have a contained run/coop area. The run is 12 ft long (expanding to 16 ft to put a baby chick area) and about 5 ft wide. Sand floor with building built on a foundation of blocks so vermin can not dig under. The raised part is too small. 3x4 or so. Chickens are let out during day into a great sized open area 30 or so by 12 or so with a shed for them to get underneath or back into run/coop. I know a lot of detail but want to get feed back on closing up whole coop so its 16x6, then moving roosting area out of shut up place and opening that up so nesting boxes there but roosting places out in the main area. Will they just figure it out? It will be 16 weeks or so til we try to integrate new birds so thinking I should adjust by 3 year old hens to new place not change all at once or throw them in all together? So many details...Love to start some dialogue so I can think this through
Great idea!

tho not sure how you get 6x16 with the "3x4" coop and from these pics I see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6800497/coop-and-run/

You should be able to attach images in this thread just like you did on your page.
Maybe some pics of your setup from father back to see the whole 6x16 thing.

The top right part is a bit bigger than 3x4. It is probably 3x6. I would enclose all and open 3x6 to the inside. Thinking composite barn board from lowes.

The top right part is a bit bigger than 3x4. It is probably 3x6. I would enclose all and open 3x6 to the inside. Thinking composite barn board from lowes.
Well, a tape measure would truly tell the tale.
wink.png

Regardless, it looks like some sound framing to turn it into a larger coop by adding some solid wood.
Don't forget to leave some good ventilation....not sure of your climate/location.

Back
Top Bottom