Rent-A-Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deerman, Jan 27, 2012.

1. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Over the years i have collected many incubators. Due to my health, don't want to have to take care of baby birds.

really hate to sale my collection, been thinking maybe rent them out. What do most of you think good idea ,or not. if so what kind of rent , say 3 weeks' or 4 weeks at a time.

Or better to hatch eggs for other , say so much price per egg, or price per chick hatched.

really like peoples imput......thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I just saw an add on craigslist for a guy here that is hatching other peoples eggs for .75 each with a minimum of seven eggs. He says you only pay for every live chick born. I dodn't think that's to bad if you have someone close that will do it.

3. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I think this could be a good idea with the right business sence to back it up. A lot of people would love trying their hand at hatching a batch but don't want to buy a bator to do just 1 hatch or cannot justify buying a bator to hatch a couple chicks a year. This would also be good for schools etc. who may only use it 1 time! Also if you have large bators and cabinet bators you could get people who need to hatch a large amount of chicks every couple years and want to do it all at once. You could offer different discounts and sales. You could really make some extra money at this!

Heres what I would do if it was me however to cover your own butt.....

1. Bators arn't cheap at leased for good ones so You will have to retain a deposit in case the customer chooses a. not to return it or b. returns it damaged. To determin your deposit you will need to figure out what each used bator would be worth then require a deposit up front at the time of order to be returned within a certain time period ( like 14 days) after you recieve the returned bator and can test it for functioning.
    If you setup an account with a shipper (say UPS) then you will know what the price for shipping will be both to and from your customer when they request a bator and you could charge them for shipping both ways and just include a return shippping label for themto attach to the box to return to you when they are done.

2. You are going to need to be sure what you are renting out can easily be cleaned and steralized so that if contaminated eggs or chicks were in this bator you are not passing it on to the next customer. So use only bators that can be disasembled and either soaked in a bleach water solution or ran through a dish washer.

3. You will need to be sure you are strick with the policy, proceedures and follow through. Make sure you have a good written rights and responsibilities for customers using your bators posted like on your website where its public and include it with all advertizing and also when you ship your bator. This will help release you from any legal responsibility should something happen.

You will need to make it very clear before shipping any bators that you are not reponsible for any failed hatches! So it will be "Use at your own risk sorta thing"

You could really make some money in this if you have enough bators, the right kind of bators, some business sence, and good advertizing!

There are also a couple people on CL in my area who advertize hatching eggs for people, either their eggs or the customer's and do charge per chick for the batch. So then you do not get paid if the eggs do not produce a live healthy chick! However then you are risking a lot like spread of diseases from customer's eggs and/or chicks to failed hatches...... And you will still be responsible for little lives which is why you are not hatching yourself in the first place.....
    Good luck.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes all my incubators , are good type of incubators, easy cleaned,

i was thinking local within driving distants. I have loan some to teachers for class ,like the turn-x. i have 6 sportsman, so would be good size to hatch out over 100 at a time.

Really not about the money, but like to help others who would like to hatch.

have so many , didn't set any up this year.(what a waste) 24 eggs to 3,000 egg cap.

what do you think a fair rent for 4 weeks ?

if i would hatch i was thinking 50 cent per chick hatched ,picked up within 24 hour of hatch date.
    25 cent per egg set in case some one had alot of non fertile eggs. one of the two ,charge for egg or chick?

5. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Rest in Peace you will look back at this and laugh shouldve sold them brent [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by