Repeated hawk attacks - can't cover yard....distractions?

Like indicated before, provide some kind of cover that the chickens can get under when the "hawk alert" goes out. Dog houses or crates, cattle panel bent to make a U with a tarp over it, plant bushes, something the birds can get under. Another thing you might try is attracting crows to the area. Put up some tall bird feeder platforms and put corn on it. Crows will run off hawks that come into "their" area. That said, crows have been known to take an occaisional chick or egg, but if they are being fed, they may not bother the chicks. Good luck!

Sorry, I don't know what kind of hawk.(I stink at id) We also know of at least one eagle within one mile of our house. That has been in the paper. In the fall we get owls, hear them but only ever see their dark shape at dusk. The neighbor found 3 baby owls dead in her yard also. Our property borders a 50 acre wetland/wooded area. So lots of critters. Wild turkey and deer also.

I have been dealing with the same situation here despite my areas I have set up for hiding purposes. I am at a loss as well for what to do besides take their freedom away. There are several plots of land around here where asian folks p0lant their crops all by hand. I see they set out stick figures in their fields and slap some clothes on em. I am about to try that here, similar to your scarecrow idea. I have heard those fake owls help too? On the stick figures they made like a cross figure with sticks and just tossed a shirt and hat on it, the shirt sways in the wind making it look like the figure is moving. Perhaps you could give that a shot if the scarecrows don't work. Best of luck to you. I have not had any luck as the little stinker strikes when I am at work and I come home to find the remains of the bird that didn't make it. Your hawk will get bigger and more gutsy like the one here has. We have also built a HUGE brush pile resting on logs on between 3 big pine trees for the birds to hide in along with the bushes, truck toppers, dog houses, ect.

Dh posted some temporary clotheslines and strung them at about 6'5" with fishing wire. High enough that he and I could walk under it, low enough he could do it by hand.

After two days he moved them around, two days moved them again. After a few spectacular crashes the birds moved on.

If only I can figure out something similar for foxes and my girls could be free again!

I saw a clever person use bamboo poles in the yard with shimmery mylar ribbons attached to the top. If the wind picks up at all the ribbons fly. I think that having these or having the disc's around may be enough of a distraction to get the hawks to feed somewhere else.
Caroline

If you want CDs. or mylar ribbon or scarecrows to work, you have to have LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of them. Sufficient that they create MUCH movement in the breeze. Cooper's Hawks will chase chickens through the underbrush shrubbery; sharp shinned will as well, although to a lesser degree. As open as your yard is, you need to pen the birds in a covered run or tractor.

For one thing, as has been said, hawks and eagles are quite intelligent. If they cannot get to the birds, they will move on to a more open "restaurant." Purchase rolls of wire fencing (small enough openings that birds cannot stick their heads out!) Connect in a circle, add a few step-in fence posts and cover witha tarp or even a shower curtain (use clamps to keep the "roof" on). You can make several of these if necessary. Move frequently to keep the birds from destroying your lawn. Chances are that after a couple of weeks of no available meals, the hawks will move on.

Your local newspaper will have pallets available for free (They always do). Get 4 or five of them and the same number of cinder blocks. Put the pallets around the plot, propped up on a block on one side. Evenly spaced, your chickens will have somewhere to dive under when the call goes out.

Back
Top Bottom