Repeating disease can't get it to leave

Bug bird

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 2, 2012
USA
Does anyone know how to treat chickens with eyes stuck shut some that gasp for air (most that a few hours later die) and some have stopped eating,lost weight and then died they all have meds in there warter dispensers this has been happening on and off for a year now and we can't get rid of it and have lost several members :cd
Everything I'll take into consideration thanks:)

Sounds like a respiratory disease. Couldn't say which one without pictures or more information. There is no curing respiratory diseases- chickens are carriers for life. It sounds like your birds just keep passing the illness around. And you've been battling this for a year? Ouch. How many birds are in your flock? How many have died so far?

As painful as it will be, I'd suggest culling and starting over from scratch. Clean out the coop well. (Lots of info on how to clean a coop after disease on this site). Then start over with day old chicks. Do not bring in new adult birds!! I can't stress this enough. There's always a high risk whenever you add new adult birds to a flock. You can reduce the risk of illness by quarantining any new adult birds for at least 30 days, though sometimes that isn't even enough. (Ask me how I know.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sorry just read this now! That's 100% Marek's disease! This is highly contagious and kills birds quickly. Tumors grow rapidly causing them to have a hard time breathing or coughing! It's a horrible disease with no cure! There eyes get glued shut and then they get messed up!
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

Does anyone know how to treat chickens with eyes stuck shut some that gasp for air (most that a few hours later die) and some have stopped eating,lost weight and then died they all have meds in there warter dispensers this has been happening on and off for a year now and we can't get rid of it and have lost several members :cd
Everything I'll take into consideration thanks:)

If you don't mind sharing, Whatever happened with your chickens? Some of mine had similar symptoms. I am pretty sure they got MG (mycoplasma Gillisepticum). They were fine until (after 45 days of quarantine, I introduced a hen into the flock). I culled the sick ones, and the others are doing fine, but the disease is always in your flock.

We still have several of them, my dad try's to save every thing he can so culling for us isn't much of a option. We have 6 basic coops and the ones that were sick at one time stay where they are and we change shoes, coats, some clothing, and wash be fore we go to another place. There going to live out there life or at least stay until I am out of 4-H unfortunately my mom doesn't want me to keep everyone forever. And there hasn't been a "flare up" for about a year or more. :)

Back
Top Bottom