3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
:lau

So, I'd been disappointed in Repecka, my new California White (who had replaced super-layer, Chipotle), because I'd thought she'd stopped laying in November instead of laying through her first winter.

Today, after having found only 2 eggs in the nest when I'd been getting 3-5 daily, I went searching to see if one of the younger girls had dropped an egg in the bedding. I found one.

Hey! It's white!

Then there was another. Right up next to a piece of metal roofing leaned against the wall as "clutter" for the chick integration.

IMG_20221219_174330554.jpg

Turns out Repecka has been laying after all.

IMG_20221219_174414123.jpg

18 lovely, but rather dirty, white eggs!

So, 20 counting the eggs I found nearby.

They should be fine to eat considering that it's been nearly as cold as a refrigerator out there this past month. In fact, I think I'll celebrate it by using them for my Christmas morning egg casserole.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Mocha, my Java, wasn't sitting on them given that she's spent nearly half her adult life broody.

She was quite indignant and vocal about her distress that her nest had vanished. She looked into a nest box, but I don't know where I'll find today's egg.
That's hilarious! 20 bonus eggs! I can just imagine her being mad at you. Please do update us when you find today's egg - I am now really wondering about that!

I have one PBB who insists on laying in the open air coop/run. I've relocated the nest boxes three times, added two new nest boxes, more/new fake eggs, etc. Still keeps laying her egg in the run, in a different random place each day. I'd be delighted if she just picked an out-of-the way spot and stuck to it! She's the lowest in the pecking order, so I think the others hassle her out of the nest boxes, regardless of what I've tried so far. I just don't want everyone else to copy her...

Sometimes i will just let them lay in their nest. I KNOW where it is. Then after a while, they will just go back to laying where they are suppose to. Or after a while I will block it off, and then they seem ready for a more traditional place.

Back
Top Bottom