Replace our Roo?

Jmonks

Hatching
Aug 26, 2023
We have 15 hens. Our roo was killed this weekend by a fox. He fought hard, we didn't lose one hen. He was a good boyđź’” If they're used to a roo, is it best to replace him? They were fighting a lot since he was killed, but seem to be more peaceful this morning. They are used to free ranging, but if I don't replace him, they will get very limited time out. Advice?

They're used to their rooster, not any rooster. I always like to have roosters around. Do you? If not, then maybe don't get another. Why limit their free ranging time now that he's gone?

They're used to their rooster, not any rooster. I always like to have roosters around. Do you? If not, then maybe don't get another. Why limit their free ranging time now that he's gone?
I loved my rooster, I was most bonded with him. I know roosters can have very different temperaments. I would have to be around one I was considering. We have fox that come out in daylight, raccoons, hawks, & bears and the tree coverings are gone until spring. I might as well feed them to the fox if they have no protection. All except for one hen were going about their business while our roo was being killed. They're oblivious, maybe because they've had a protector.

I loved my rooster, I was most bonded with him. I know roosters can have very different temperaments. I would have to be around one I was considering. We have fox that come out in daylight, raccoons, hawks, & bears and the tree coverings are gone until spring. I might as well feed them to the fox if they have no protection. All except for one hen were going about their business while our roo was being killed. They're oblivious, maybe because they've had a protector.

Great! Seems like you enjoy having a male around. As you very tragically found out yourself though, roosters aren't protectors against predators. They are either trusted sentinels, or snacks for predators (usually the best ones). Roosters are there to alert the flock, which then takes cover accordingly. If no male is around, the lead hen usually takes that role, although sometimes it takes time to master

I do think a good rooster helps a lot with day time predation. And I have never had a hen step up to the job.

I do agree the fox will be back.

Two years ago, I lost Bye, and missed him for months, and really the rooster I picked up to replace him with was never even close. I didn't keep him.

Got two young ones now, that I grew up this summer. Need to send one to the neighbors...hoping I pick the right one.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom