Replaced my coop - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yellowirenut, Apr 8, 2012.

1. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I went bigger and better.

My old one was 4'x4' and cramped for my five hens. My new one is 5'x7' and tall enough to walk in! But there is a problem, I built it a bit to tall and it looks out of place. So instead of posting pics of my new build. After Easter lunch i am going to surgically slice and lower it 8" . I will be posting pics of the build and the modifications.
    the hens are trying to get used to there nesting boxes up instead of on the ground. I saw one fall out this morning and look up like "what happened?"
    Fair warning when i do post the pics its just a raw building at the moment..it needs trim.

[​IMG]

the build
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had built all the sections in my garage over the past few months. I think it looks to tall myself.
    the nesting boxers are not complete and where just a quick get it done for now thing.

Finnaly got the lowering done. I first supported the roof. Next i cut the studds from the top plates then cut them again 9" below that. I then carfully lowerd the roof using the supports. it looks a lot better i think. More of a squat look than a tall and skiny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all I need to do is add the trim work

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Good Luck!!!! cant wait to see pics :) And enjoy your easter lunch! Man I love a good leftover turkey sandwhich!

3. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Updated!

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    The girls must be thrilled.[​IMG] Looks good and its great to be able to go into the coop. Mine is 8x8 and wouldn't have it any other way. A friend of mine wanted me to help him build a coop 4x8 told him to go 8x8 by the time you put everything in it(4x8) you won't be able to walk.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by