Reptipro 5000 Hatch-A-Long (=

It's not the amount of water but the surface area that controls humidity. Start with a shot glass 1" then move up to a small juice glass 1-1/2" then try one of those small Glad plastic fruit storage containers 2" and keep moving up until you get the humidity level you want. Remove the plastic tray from the bottom first (shot glass gets tipsy instead of the shot glass holder).
tongue.png

Last edited:
I heat with wood so my ambient inside humidity usually ranges (this time of year) around 38% only because I supplement with a Venta (very fancy and expensive) humidifier (without it inside humidity drops to around 30%). This time without any water in the 'bator the humidity is staying steady around 30%, so for now I'm sticking with the 'dry incubation' method.

I put some store bought eggs in the incubator just for a quick test run to see how accurate the temps are. The temp is set at 100. The top self stays at exactly 100 and the very bottom of the incubator is 99. It just stays at that temp. My humidity has been at 25%. I only have 6 eggs for now. So I'm thinking I could probably put the real eggs in probably tomorrow and they should be fine. After a few days though I may have to boost the humidity a little. I'll try that shot glass and see what it does.

I would beg any person using the reptipro 5000 for hatching chicken eggs to first note that( to the best of my knowledge) it is made for REPTILE eggs. Second that if u use the top shelf when eggs hatch babys can and have fallen to bottom because there is a gap between shelf and door. third, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE monitor your humidity when they start to hatch, Mine soared and babys drowned in eggs and some were born soaking soaking wet. There also seemed to be a difference of 3
degrees at times between top and bottom shelf though that was not a constant. PLEASE use extreme caution at hatch time with this incubator to avoid a heart break. It may be a nice machiene but I believe it would be better used for reptile eggs alone.

I would beg any person using the reptipro 5000 for hatching chicken eggs to first note that( to the best of my knowledge) it is made for REPTILE eggs. Second that if u use the top shelf when eggs hatch babys can and have fallen to bottom because there is a gap between shelf and door. third, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE monitor your humidity when they start to hatch, Mine soared and babys drowned in eggs and some were born soaking soaking wet. There also seemed to be a difference of 3
degrees at times between top and bottom shelf though that was not a constant. PLEASE use extreme caution at hatch time with this incubator to avoid a heart break. It may be a nice machiene but I believe it would be better used for reptile eggs alone.
It doesn't matter to me what kind of eggs it was originally designed for.. fact is many many people have successfullly hatched bird eggs using a Reptipro..

Heck.. I have seen people successfully hatch chicken eggs in styrofoam coolers, electric frying pans, and aquariums.. seems to me a few people have even hatched them in their bras...

Sure some adjustments may need to be made.. but I even altered an old LG bator to make it more egg hatching friendly

the fact is if it works why should I care what kind of eggs it was originally designed for

and for the record the Reptipro works better for me than other bators because it will also cool.. which is a major plus when we are having a Texas heatwave.. not too many bators can do that and will also fit into my budget

X 2 yinepu

We use what works for us and what we have. I know several of the BYU folks have reptiles too, so why buy more than one bator? Any of the threads here talking about different brands/styles are heavy on the suggestions about how to make adjustments to help them work for us. I see several with emu eggs too, can you put them in the Styrofoam bators? Diversity seems to be a big plus with the Reptipro.

X 2 yinepu

We use what works for us and what we have. I know several of the BYU folks have reptiles too, so why buy more than one bator? Any of the threads here talking about different brands/styles are heavy on the suggestions about how to make adjustments to help them work for us. I see several with emu eggs too, can you put them in the Styrofoam bators? Diversity seems to be a big plus with the Reptipro.

I have 16 emu eggs spread out between 4 bators right now..
if you click on the link in my signature you can see how I modified an old styro LG bator to make it emu egg friendly..
I also found that by modifying the LG that it seems to keep better temps than it did when I tried it before for chicken eggs.. even though at the time I had a fan kit in it and was covering it with a towel I couldn't get it to stay stable if my life depended on it..
I still wouldn't trust it during a Texas summer heatwave.. but heck.. that's why I got the Reptipro!

Back
Top Bottom