REQUEST FOR TOP TEN COOP FEATURES

My coop has a steel floor. All I have to do is sweep and occasionally hose it out. I use a floor scrapper if anything is stuck. Use the DLM under the perches. I second the roof vent, makes a huge difference.
Steel floor....hmmmmm... interesting. Why steel? Just the durability? Do you put anything else on the steel to keep the chickens feet from getting too cold? Steel is a great heat sink.....
And - the roof vent - do you use or like a powered roof vent? Something not strong enough to feel a draft, but to create a reasonable fresh air exchange rate?

The roof vent isn't powered, it is just the flat pannet kind. As far as the steel floor goes.... We have prairie dogs and various other critters that dig into the chickem house. This finally stopped them. During the winter we have hard rubber mats, stall mats that we put down over the steel.

The best thing we did when we built our coop was to make the doors and windows "modular". The entire window and the panel between window and floor pop out.
So when it is time to clean out the coop, we just pull a wheelbarrow up to the open frame, shovel it out, and then clean and hose it right through the opening. The floor is raised above ground by three feet and there is a sloped metal piece of trim that runs along the edge, so the water just pours our.

Soooo easy to clean.

The roof vent isn't powered, it is just the flat pannet kind. As far as the steel floor goes.... We have prairie dogs and various other critters that dig into the chickem house. This finally stopped them. During the winter we have hard rubber mats, stall mats that we put down over the steel.
So... is it a solid sheet of steel? Or an open heavy gage grid? I can see the solid steel stopping un-wanted excavators!

The best thing we did when we built our coop was to make the doors and windows "modular". The entire window and the panel between window and floor pop out.
So when it is time to clean out the coop, we just pull a wheelbarrow up to the open frame, shovel it out, and then clean and hose it right through the opening. The floor is raised above ground by three feet and there is a sloped metal piece of trim that runs along the edge, so the water just pours our.

Soooo easy to clean.
I would love to see the photos of that detail! SOunds like a well thought out method to speed clean! Tyring to envision the sloped metal trim....?

hmmmm. It has been a while since I posted.
There are pictures in my profile, not sure how to transfer.
The metal strip is just like a piece of molding or weather dripping, that slants slightly toward the ground.

hmmmm. It has been a while since I posted.
There are pictures in my profile, not sure how to transfer.
The metal strip is just like a piece of molding or weather dripping, that slants slightly toward the ground.
O.k... Will try to visualize that. BTW - could not find any pics in your profile or album - sorry.
T

Just popping in here to say DO NOT put a single door top or top devider in that you can bump your head on. OUCH!!! Also always put something on the floor that can absorb shock . When the hens jump,fly their way from a roost they can hurt themsleves on a slick floor. I had one break its leg.
Large hens do roost. The English orps do.! All my hens roost but I do not have silkies. I understand they would only like a low one for sure. If you get pdz or some other brand make sure it is granular and not a powder. The dust will be terrible if you don't. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom