Nearly drowned keet hellp!!!!!!!

Tom Kathleen

Songster
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
QUESTION: Based on the following, would you start antibiotics as a preventative to pneumonia?
PLEASE ADD ANY OTHER TIPS OR HACKS YOU SUGGEST.

SITUATION: 3 day old keet found drowning in brooder water dish because someone didn't put back in the rocks after filling the water. It looked dead, eyes snapped shut, soaked to the bone. I cranked the heater on high and held it in front of it and blew on its face and felt movement.

I rushed it inside. Dried it in front of heater. Have it in a box with heat and soft bedding. It opened its eyes and looks better. It took some liquid egg yolk by syringe and some warm honey water by syringe. Also took a half doz drops of nutridrench.

It obviously got water in its lungs because it was nearly dead. When it eats, it bubbles from the nostrils. I know it's probably going to die of pneumonia even though it looks okay right now aside from the nostril bubbling and odd neck stretching.

I'm very upset by this, but need to focus on the damage. Obviously rocks are in the water for the keets now.

Please let me know if you would 1) start antibiotics as a preventative 2) continue feeding with yolk trying to get it energy 3) put it back and see if it gets better and cull it if it becomes listless. I don't WANT to cull it, I want to do all I can and give it every chance, but I don't want it to suffer and I don't want to delay the inevitable.

THANK YOU!!!

I would see if she can eat a bit of wet soaked feed and drink on her own.

If you already have abx on hand and you fear she may end up with pneumonia, then it's not a bad idea to start her on them.

I would see if she can eat a bit of wet soaked feed and drink on her own.

If you already have abx on hand and you fear she may end up with pneumonia, then it's not a bad idea to start her on them.
Thank you for the kind reply! Unfortunately she died that night. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply though!! Bock. baaaaaawk.

Back
Top Bottom