Rescue and burnout.

That's a good article. I've seen it before.

Believe it or not, I'm actually not burned out. I've been volunteering to varying degrees since I was a kid mucking out dog runs. I know my limits mentally, physically and financially.

I am judgmental and I don't apologize for it. I would be much less so if people would just think and weigh out all of their options both before and after getting an animal. If you're impulsive and don't think ahead, at least please alter the animal. Spaying and neutering is the single most important thing the average pet owner can do to help the problem. Doing that one thing makes owners part of the solution rather than part of the problem even if they have to re-home their pets later on.

Not everyone has the same passion I do, and that's fine. Maybe your passion is elsewhere or maybe you just go along at an even keel. I understand that.

Spay and neuter is the answer. It's that simple and that complicated. There are still many misconceptions about altering pets. People still believe that female pets need to have a litter in order to be healthy and well adjusted. The still believe that a male dog suffers emotionally without his testicles.

For every reason not to alter, there are 10 better ones in favor of altering. Actually 1000's and millions of reasons why altering is better. Go to your shelter and look around, you'll see why altering is the way to go.

I just read this article and it's good.

I've been a foster home for 8 years and go through burnout periodically. No matter how many dogs I take in, people that know me - even neighbors - will call me and say "I can't keep my dog anymore, can you help?". It drives me nuts.

I try with every opportunity to talk to people about spay/neuter and make suggestions before telling them to contact my rescue group or take some other sort of action. It is incredibly discouraging, but I try to remind myself periodically that I'm doing what I can and every little bit makes a big difference in the life of the animals.

On the other hand, barely a day goes by that I don't think about all the evil that goes on every minute of every day that doesn't make the news. We all just need to do what we can in the manner that we can.

It was a great article ..thanks for sharing with us!

I run a very small scale Exotics (small furries, reptiles, amphibians and inverts) Rescue from my home. It is slightly different from the dog and cat situation. We are not externally funded ...ie., donations, etc.

...and burn out is a huge reality! Personally, it is mostly due to the surrendering people, though ..and not the work involved or the animals' and their status, etc. I get sooo overwhelmed with the lack of regard for another living being.

I have to constantly remind myself that all humans are not walking horrors ...neglectful, cruel, unfeeling.. and that a few remain humane.

...hopping off my box, now

I work in human services, and this is something we deal with on a daily basis. I think a big pitfall is that people want to fix every horrible thing they see, and they feel guilty when they can't. That will kill you every time. You have to decide how much you can do, and harden your heart to that you can't fix. I used to have a good quote pinned above my desk (sorry, I can't remember who said it; I think it was a family court judge):
"It's not like being a gift-wrapper at Macy's. Nothing ever comes out in a nice pretty package. But, hopefully, things are better than if you were never there at all."

Back
Top Bottom