Rescue chicken

borkboing

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
My wife and I were driving by a Tyson processing plant, and there was a chicken at the side of the road. She was standing there drunkenly while cars wizzed by inches away. We jumped out of the car and grabbed her (thus her name 'Carpe', as in 'carpe chicken').

We now have a pet chicken and no idea what we are doing.

I have her out in a shed in the back yard away from predators. She has some scratch and is in a warm cardboard box. She has access to water. I will build a little coop off the ground over the next few days.

She doesn't move around much, and there is moisture around the vent area. It is not very pleasant to pick her up and is probably not normal. Does anyone know? It may be from the stress of transport and escaping.

She seems young and is not very coordinated. She is probably from one of the factory farms and probably has no idea of what to do, how to eat, or even walk. She has not been de-beaked.

She's also a little bloodied somewhere on the body, we suspect she got hurt in her escape from the plant. The bleeding has stopped, so that is on the mend at least.

Is there something I can do to ensure that she eats?
Is there anything I need to do for her that more experienced flockmasters might suggest?
I would prefer her to be free range, but I do not want to simply feed the local possums. How do you free range chickens without predation? I have a 1/4 acre wooded side yard that is fenced and chicken wired already that I would like to use.
Is there some kind of chicken door lock on a timer you can get?
Do meat hens lay many eggs?

I'm not a flockmaster. I would just focus on getting her stable first and assessing her wounds, if any. You might be able to find an old large rabbit cage on craigslist to start her in and as she recovers, you can decide how much you want to invest in her housing. Next thing I would consider is a buddy for her. Imagine if she could talk? Oh the story she would tell!

And,
welcome-byc.gif

There are all kinds of things you can buy (and make) for chickens. That's great that you rescued her! She was opossum food if it weren't for you!

I'm not a flockmaster. I would just focus on getting her stable first and assessing her wounds, if any. You might be able to find an old large rabbit cage on craigslist to start her in and as she recovers, you can decide how much you want to invest in her housing. Next thing I would consider is a buddy for her. Imagine if she could talk? Oh the story she would tell!

And,
welcome-byc.gif

There are all kinds of things you can buy (and make) for chickens. That's great that you rescued her! She was opossum food if it weren't for you!

goodpost.gif
It certainly was wonderful for you to rescue the poor baby.
hugs.gif
Enjoy her. I agree, a buddy for her would be perfect.
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Does anyone know about the wet 'vent' thing?

What to do about her weight/balance/breeding problem?

I will try to post pictures of Carpe tomorrow.

If you have any predators around, she won't survive by free ranging her. The way they are raised, there are no predators. They don't have the instincts to be scared and run. I've turned several loose from a local chicken house, none survived more than a few days. Due to predators.

Back
Top Bottom