Rescue Pekin sounds like a guinnea pig???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jducour, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes the oregano and ACV would be fine for everyone.

2. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I'm not seeing ACV helping with something like that but I doubt it would hurt if it's very weak. I'd try what Amiga recommended. You could also try some poultry vitamin/electrolyte mix in their water since it's not going to hurt any of them. I don't want you to go to huge vet expense right away because there's a possibility she's just freaking out from the change. I know you have a lot of experience with ducks and you've seen how they go kind of wiggy if something in their circumstances changes. That might be all or most of what it is.

What dewormer are you using?

3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    The only kind my local store carries is Wazine 17 - Active Drug: Piperazine Base (present as sulfate) 100ml contains 17 grams

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  4. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    And I was planning on adding it to their night time water supply - so I know they are drinking it and not playing in it - I have a bucket with nipples, and they go through about a gallon of water a night with minimal spilling.

5. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I'm not the best person to give advice on deworming ducks since I've learned what little I know about it just in the past week. I do remember that Wazine is very specific and treats only a variety of roundworms. @casportpony uses Safeguard that treats a broader range of worms, and @Amiga uses a different one, but I don't think it's Wazine. Maybe if you hear back from them about the best one to use, you can check around at other stores, local feed stores and pet stores.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have not had to use a dewormer yet. Someday, maybe, but not yet.

7. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Hmm. Maybe it was @Miss Lydia ? I remember that someone in that discussion said they used a different dewormer.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Miss Lydia has used Wazine, I thinkā€¦..

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have used Wazine but it was quite a few years ago and for my chickens since they get round worms.
    I worm my chickens 3X a year whether I see worms or not because I don't want to wait till I see a full load and if you see the worms they have it. I only worm my water fowl at end of Oct.when I worm my chickens for the last time for the year. I use Safe Guard and also Valbazen because both will kill all the worms that our flock can pick up. @casportpony can advise better than me.

10. JadeComputerGal

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Thanks! I'm still trying to decide what to do about this since I've never seen any indications of worms. Is there a reason you choose the end of October? My vet said it doesn't hurt to do it in April and October. I didn't understand the April part since that's the middle of our laying season, but I didn't even think to ask about that because my focus was on the sick duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by