Rescue remedy dosing for Rooster/Hen

He looks young probably going through some hormone changes. There's no way to change his behavior at the moment since he's under the influence of his hormones.

To make for some peace is to keep him away from your hens and you. Best to have a separate area for him till the hormones fade, which takes around 3 to 4 months.
Thank you. I have nowhere to put him at moment. Yard until 3ft of snow. Guess I'll deal with his/her until spring and see if hormones settle a little and maybe free ranging will make her happier? Or buy myself an armoured suit. 🤣😂

Do you have a large dog crate or pen that you could place him in with his own food and water? Or advertise him as a free rooster?
Would that make him settle down? How long do I keep him in big dog crate? He was never nasty before. This just started 10 days ago... I will try the dog crate. Thank you! I'll try anything to not kill him. Although my dogs might beg to differ.

Would that make him settle down? How long do I keep him in big dog crate? He was never nasty before. This just started 10 days ago... I will try the dog crate. Thank you! I'll try anything to not kill him. Although my dogs might beg to differ.
Not likely, but it will keep him from attacking you while he's confined.
Male birds can be hard to handle, some keepers are better off without them in the flock.
Where did you 'rescue' this bird from?
Do you have other chickens?

Not likely, but it will keep him from attacking you while he's confined.
Male birds can be hard to handle, some keepers are better off without them in the flock.
Where did you 'rescue' this bird from?
Do you have other chickens?
I rescued 4 pullets from nearby farm that had serious overcrowding due to owner being out of country during covid and her population got out of control so she was desperate to find homes for some.
They are three different 'breeds'. The tiny maran is the sweetest. I have two bovan browns and this crazy one is a rhode island red. And of course the roosters of this breed tend to get aggressive. Lucky me. They get along famously.

this crazy one is a rhode island red. And of course the roosters of this breed tend to get aggressive.
The cockerel is not a RIR, it's some kind of mix.
Any breed cockerel can get aggressive.
1 male with 3 females could be terrible for the girls.
I'd strongly suggest you get rid of this feisty male.

Back
Top Bottom