Rescued a Hummingbird Tuesday (PICS)

Fantastic rescue!!!! Aren't they wonderful little creatures
smile.png
I just refilled my feeder today... I hope to see some at it tomorrow
smile.png
I'm glad your story had such a happy ending. Those pictures are once in a lifetime
wink.png

Thanks!

It must be my week to save birds. Had a baby bird stuck in my MIL's barn yesterday. Finally grabbed it and set it outside on the window sill. Mom and Dad bird were in the barn too, but knew how to get out. They found it outside and were happy!

Today DH cuts down a tree branch with a nest of 4 baby robins in it
barnie.gif
We scooped the babies up and set the nest on the ground for Mom and Dad Robin to find... then gradually moved it closer to a tree that I put the nest in (with black tape and sticks)
he.gif
They have found the babies and are feeding them... I just hope the nest stays where I put it.
fl.gif

whew.. what a week!

Thanks for helping the little hummer!!!!
thumbsup.gif

How wondrous to see her fly off, restored.

And thanks for helping the baby bird in the barn!

I hope the little robins will be okay - what a shock for they and their folks! That was a totally innocent mistake with what will hopefully be a very happy ending. I'm sure we've all trimmed a branch at one time or another.....

Unfortunately, professional tree services do work right and left during nesting season when they know full well there will likely be casualties. I have yet to see one advertise that they will not do work at that time....but wouldn't it be nice? (of course, customers can avoid asking for the work to be done at that time, but most are simply not thinking one way or the other about nesting season). I know of a very sad instance where even a state environmental agency hired a tree service to do work in a park during nesting season - they of all people should have known better - and sadly, baby birds plummeted to their death, their parents frantic, park visitors were sobbing...what a mess! I will never forget the day because I was working in the Governor's office where people came to me so upset by what they had seen. I immediately tried to put a stop to the work but it had already happened......
In some areas of the country, nesting can occur at many points of the year but for most of us, it's confined to a couple month period during spring/early summer.

JJ

wink.png
....I love all critters... felt great to be able to help and get results each time!

I hear ya JJ. DH kept feeling AWFUL when the babies would look for food.. and ESPECIALLY when Mom and Dad returned with food. I made the comment.. "Imagine being a tree trimmer.. how awful!"
The nest stayed in the tree and it even rained last night. I will check later today and make sure that Mom and dad are still feeding the babes. I am pretty sure all is well with them though.

Back
Top Bottom